Tuesday, July 15, 2014

News

I apologize for not being around much the past few weeks. The decision has been made for me to move to the Sonora area so I can be closer to family. My mother is 86 now and my sisters need my help. I'll be moving sometime in the fall, provided I find a place. I'm looking for a house to buy and the prices are of course much cheaper than Los Angeles, but the pickings are pretty slim. Plus I need to find a place that has a minimum of stairs (for my mother) and a fenced yard (for the dogs). That may not sound too hard, until you see the mountainous terrain of the area. I find myself checking Zillow and Trulia every five minutes.

I'm really looking forward to living in that area. I'll be closer to the family, and it definitely will be a pleasant change from Southern California. I'm tired of living in a ghetto neighborhood just to be next to the ocean. But the move will be bittersweet as I'll be leaving many close friends and family behind.

I'm still coming to Pulp Fest of course, and I'm looking forward to my presentation at Ohio State on Thursday the 7th at 4:30 PM. Believe me, after all this, going to Pulp Fest will be a very nice diversion. And yes, I'm still writing the book on Daisy.

Anyway, I'll try to post news and events as they crop up.

Bookmark and Share

10 comments:

Bill Crider said...

Sounds like a good move. I hope you find a house you like.

Walker Martin said...

Moving can be quite a hassle and I last moved 25 years ago when my collection forced me to find a larger house. Now I've filled it up again but I'm not going to move again. Good luck and keep us advised as to your progress.

Cap'n Bob said...

Good luck and I hope you find your dream home. Not my business, of course, but what about work? Can you do it over the Net or will you retire?

Laurie Powers said...

Thanks guys. I'm off again Saturday morning, driving up there and looking at houses. Wish me luck.

Bob, yes, my employer lets me work at home so all I need is a good internet connection and a phone.

Cap'n Bob said...

Good luck.

Barry Traylor said...

Best of luck with the move, myself I loath moving as I have way too many books and pulps to move. But it sounds like an awful nice area you are moving to. Looking forward to seeing you at PulpFest.

Oscar said...

Good luck to you, Laurie, in that high country.

Rick said...

I wish you the best with your move. I hope you find what you are looking for and that your mother is doing well.

Richard said...

Was that Sonora (as in the Sonoran desert) or Sonoma? Big difference!

Laurie Powers said...

Sonora, California.