Monday, June 30, 2014

Off For The Holiday

I'm off reaaallly early in the morning to drive up to Sonora, CA, where I'll be spending the 4th July with my sister. I grew up in Calaveras County, just a stone's throw away, but I left the area as soon as I hit 18 and could get out of the house. It's been decades since I've been to Sonora. I'm really looking forward to checking out the town. My sister says it's changed quite a bit.

For those of you not familiar with Sonora, it's in the "gold country" in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada. Sonora is just below the snow line, but you don't have to drive too far up the highway to get into the winter wonderland if you want. Sonora is a 70 minute drive to Yosemite. I'm thinking it might be a good place to - gulp - retire!! - which is not that far down the road (hopefully). Call me crazy, but I'm thinking that trying to retire in Los Angeles isn't a good idea with the price of housing here. Not to mention the crime, pollution, traffic, earthquakes, etc etc.

I'll be taking both of my animals with me - by taking Annie with me instead of leaving her with a pet sitter, she won't have to suffer through the fireworks on the 4th. Ain't I smart?!

Everybody have a safe and great 4th.

photo credit: yosemitehikes.com. For more information, go to their nice website.

Bookmark and Share

6 comments:

Barry Traylor said...

"The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County" I thought perhaps you had a frog to enter.
Funny, but I remember reading the story but it did not occur to me that Twain had not made up the name of the location. Learn something new all the time.

Barry Traylor said...

Forgot to ask, how does Chloe handle car trips. My first wife and I had a Siamese cat we named Sam (I was reading the Maltese Falcon when we got her) we took her (we thought "she" was a "he" when we got her as a kitten) along with us on vacations and she would howl the entire trip. Boy you ain't heard nothing until you have heard a Siamese cat howl.

Laurie Powers said...

I went to high school in Angels Camp Barry and the school mascot is the bullfrog. I kid you not. Ironically, I have an enormous fear of frogs - have had it since I was about 11.

Chloe does ok - but first she has to poop in her carrier to get back at me. I always have to stop after the first 20 minutes and clean her carrier out. Then she settles down and usually sleeps. I know that howl, because Chloe is part Siamese. The windows rattle.

Oscar said...

It looks like a great place to pass the 4th. Have a good trip and a Happy Fourth!

Richard said...

Have a great time, Laurie. I know it's pretty up there in the Spring and Fall, not sure about the Summer. Be safe.

Cap'n Bob said...

I left home at 18, too. The family was fine but I hated the town. The Army was better.