Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Books: Latest Acquisitions

Several new books have arrived at my door over the past few weeks, and I have NO idea how they got there. Most of them are pulp-related, or are histories of the romance genre, or the history of the 1920s or 1930s. As I plow through these, I'll be posting reviews.

Here are some of the latest acquisitions:

LOVE ON THE RACKS: A History of American Romance Comics. By Michelle Nolan.



DOC SAVAGE: SKULL ISLAND. By Will Murray.



THE STORK CLUB: America's Most Famous Nightspot and the Lost World of Cafe Society. By Ralph Blumenthal.

LAST CALL: The Rise and Fall of Prohibition. By Daniel Okrent



VOICES OF PROTEST: Huey Long, Father Coughlin, and the Great Depression. By Alan Brinkley



These are just a fraction of what I've collected over the past few months. I've been trying to make a dent in reading the ever-growing pile of books, along with reading issues of LOVE STORY as well as magazines that were in competition with LS and going through Daisy's personal papers and journals. And working like crazy at my day job.

Now you guys know why I haven't been blogging as much. Now will you stop complaining? :)


Bookmark and Share

5 comments:

Walker Martin said...

Of course I zeroed in on the comment about how you are working on LOVE STORY and Daisy Bacon. I hope you continue your research and writing on this subject. We need a book discussing the importance and influence of the romance pulps.

Laurie Powers said...

Yes, I'm still working on LOVE STORY and Daisy Bacon. That's why I'm not blogging as much. Reading and writing, working full time and caring for three animals, one of which is quite elderly, and finally I like to have a social life once in a while. You have to learn to pick your battles.

Laurie Powers said...

By the way, Walker, I really appreciate your support on the Daisy Bacon project. Knowing that you and others are interested keeps me going some days.

Cap'n Bob said...

I knew Michelle Nolan when she was Mike Nolan, a San Jose comics fan. That was a good 40 years ago. Things change, wot?

Barry Traylor said...

I read "Last Call" just before the Ken Burns series on Public TV was broadcast and found it to be a fascinating read. The book about Huey Long and Father Coughlin sounds interesting so I'll have to check that one out.