Sunday, February 3, 2013

Meet Ed the Dapper Dalmation

I elected not to go to a Super Bowl party this year. Maybe I'm just getting old, I just didn't feel like driving on a day when half the nation has been drinking beer and eating chicken wings for 5 hours straight. Besides, I have way too much work to do.

I am also fostering a very old Dalmatian named Ed, and I really don't like leaving him for longer than a couple of hours. I haven't talked about him too much on the blog, but then I haven't been talking about anything at any length on the blog. Anyway, Ed is 18 years old. That is not a typo. He came to stay with us last summer. His owners had lost their house and were moving to some place where Ed would not be allowed. Thankfully, his family called a rescue group rather than dumping him at a shelter (you'd be amazed, rather horrified, at how often that happens). They called Grand Paws Senior Sanctuary in Agua Dulce (in the Santa Clarita Valley). I had told them that I would help foster a dog during the very hot Santa Clarita summer. Originally I was going to keep Ed for two months, before I had to move to another part of town. Well, two months came and went, and Ed came with us when we moved. He's now been with us for 6 months.

Sometimes I wonder whether Ed is really 18. After all, his last family adopted him from a shelter 8 years ago. At that point, the shelter said Ed was 10 years old. Now, I know that the shelter may have been guessing. But even if Ed was, at the low end, 7 years old, that would make him 15 now. So any way you look at it, Ed's older than dirt.

This is my first time fostering a dog, and it has been one of the most rewarding things I've ever done. It helps that Ed is a very sweet dog and very affectionate. He pretty much lays on his bed except at meal times and when it's time to go for walks. He does have some issues with control over bodily functions (hence why I don't want to leave him alone for too long), but there's only been a few accidents. I think that's why so many people ending up dumping their dogs at the shelters because as they become more senior, one of their issues is incontinence. But for God sakes, people, there are these things called pee pads. It's real easy. You throw some down on the floor before you go to bed at night or before you leave the house.

How has Annie coped with Ed being around? At first, she wasn't too pleased, especially when Ed got too close to her ball. But over the months Annie has slowly come around to tolerating and in fact I would swear she even keeps an eye on Ed so he doesn't get into trouble on walks.
As for the cat, you be the judge.

Ed has issues with his back legs - they don't work as well as the front - but I believe they've gotten stronger since he's been with us. But poor guy, he can't use them to scratch behind his ears, and it takes him a while to get comfortable on his bed. But surprisingly he does very well on our walks - in fact he pulls me down the street.

I know some of you who read this are also fans of Ed's Facebook page ("Ed the Dapper Dalmatian"). For those of you who don't know about his page, feel free to join us in the fun. And if you want to help contribute to helping save senior dogs like Ed, go to Grand Paws Senior Sanctuary's website and there's a donate button. Grand Paws also has a Facebook page. If you want your donation to go towards Ed's care, simply put those instructions in the memo.

Now, we simply must get back to watching the Puppy Bowl. From what I've seen, it's a lot more exciting than the Super Bowl so far. Bookmark and Share

7 comments:

Walker Martin said...

Thanks for telling us more about this dog Laurie. We watched the Puppy Bowl on Animal Planet today also and it was alot more interesting than the Super Bowl. Even the half time was more enjoyable.

Barry Traylor said...

I almost forgot about the Superbowl until my wife asked me if it was on. So I recorded the last 8 minutes. I sorta kinda like the Baltimore Ravens for the silly reason that Poe is buried in Baltimore and that is why they name the team the Ravens.
Needless to say Ed is one lucky dog to have found you. I too am puzzled about his age as I did not think large dogs lived that long. My daughter and her husband had two Akitas and neither lived much beyond the age of nine. Same with Lynn's daughter who has had Rottweilers. Neither one made to ten years of age.

RkR said...

Good for you, Laurie! Those walks will do a lot to keep him going, along with the love you lavish on him.

Cap'n Bob said...

You are assured a place in heaven.

Laurie Powers said...

Thanks, Rick. He certainly seems to be thriving here and he actually is a bottomless pit when it comes to food.

Bob, I only want to go to heaven if dogs are there.

Barry I have heard of some Dalmatians living to 15, and some to 16 or 17.

Walker, I left the Super Bowl when it was 21-3 in the 3rd and turned on the Puppy Bowl. Imagine my shock when I went back to the Super Bowl and saw that SF was only behind by 3.

omair khan said...

Best online earning system in the world, Online Data entry jobs, Form Filling Jobs, Copy Pasting Jobs
Join the best online system from home, Best Investment Plans without any work
www.jobzcorner.com

omair khan said...

Upcoming Latest cars and vehicles, Latest Mazda Models, Racing Cars, International Sport Cars, Concept Cars, PS-Pod, Strange Vehicles, Nissan, Royce Corniche, Ford Concept Cars, Strange Vehicles, Mercedes and More Sport Cars and Vehicles with Pictures and Info
WorldLatestVehicles.com