Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Some Christmas Covers to Get in the Spirit

Now don't fall off your chair, yes, I'm back. I'm so excited because I finally got my old computer working again. Why should you care? Because this is computer that stores all of the PULP COVERS. After the horrible tragedy of last Friday, I felt it was time to get in the Christmas spirit and post some covers.

I'm looking forward to this Christmas for a change. We'll be driving up to see my family in northern California. By "we" I mean my "pack" - Annie, Ed, and Chloe - are coming with me. Yes, both dogs and the cat. The dogs will be staying with me at my sister and her husband's place, and my mother will take the cat. This has never happened before because my sister could never take my dogs before this year - my sister has always has Labrador Retrievers who would not tolerate canine guests. Sadly, the last Labrador in a long line of Labs, Jack, died this year and they are dog less. And my other sister and her husband are driving down for Christmas day.

For the first time in a very long time, the entire family will be together. And for me, that's a really great Christmas present.

To celebrate, here are some covers, a mix and match. Some of these are courtesy of Barry Traylor. He's been posting them on Facebook, maybe in the hopes that I would get the hint.












Bookmark and Share

6 comments:

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Very nice covers. Wish I could lay my hands on some. I did one on comic-book X-mas covers last year. I hope you have a great time with your family during Christmas.

livnriv@gmail.com said...

Hi Laurie! I just purchased a copy of "Doc Dillahay" and sent it to my father in Oregon as a Christmas present. I was wondering if, by chance, you know why your grandfather chose the name "Dillahay" - not exactly a common name. After reading your blog a bit, I learned that on my daughter's birthday, you wrote about the Pulp Fair in Columbus, which is close to me! I hope to stop in and say hello next year. Happy Holidays! -Anette Dillahay

Walker Martin said...

I have many of these Christmas issues and always enjoy reading some holiday stories. The last few days I've read several stories in WESTERN STORY from the 1920's that were full of the Christmas spirit.

Hope you can continue posting about the pulps. We need more discussion about this important period in American literary history.

Barry Traylor said...

I think that Popular Magazine had some of the nicest covers. I would love to know the artist that did the man with the Christmas tree. Oddly the only pulps that come to mind that did Christmas theme covers are WWW, Western Story, Popular, S&S Mystery Magazine, a few from Argosy and of course Galaxy had a whole run of Christmas covers in the 1950's. I hope you enjoy Christmas with the family. Sounds nice.

Walker Martin said...

POPULAR MAGAZINE was a great general fiction pulp that sold well during the teens and twenties. However after long time editor Charles Maclean died an early death in 1928, the circulation declined and it finally bit the dust in 1931. It lasted a little over 600 issues and was known as the training ground for the SATURDAY EVENING POST. BLUEBOOK has often been called the slickest pulp, well the same could be said of POPULAR.

I've been collecting it for over 30 years and finally completed the set during the Darrell Richardson sale a couple years ago. The cover that Barry refers to above is by Edgar Franklin Wittmack, one of the better artists for the magazines. I have an original painting by him that was used on PEOPLES MAGAZINE in 1921.

Laurie, I really miss your pulpish enthusiasm and hope that you regain your interest in the new year. Your blog was one of the best on the internet and provided us with a much needed forum to discuss the literary history of the pulps.

I hope you and all your readers have a Merry Christmas or happy holidays.

Cap'n Bob said...

I'm glad to hear you're having a nice family Xmas, critters and all. Nice to have you back here, too.

Love the covers, although the man being lynched seems to lack the Xmas spirit.

Have a merry.