Thursday, November 15, 2012

Daisy Bacon's First Love Story In Its Entirety

When I was back east last fall, one of my stops was at Syracuse University, where I researched the Street & Smith records for any information on Daisy Bacon. Among other things, I found that she had written at least three stories for LOVE STORY MAGAZINE before she became editor. "The Remembered Fragrance" was, as far as I can tell, the first of these stories, published in the September 11, 1926 issue. It was a short story, as opposed to a longer novelette, and simply yet beautifully told. It definitely is in the style of the 1920s.

For those of you who are curious, here is the story in its entirety. You'll have to tolerate reading photographed copies of each page, because it's the only way I could get a copy. Syracuse would not photocopy the story as the pages were too brittle. Good thing I took my Canon Rebel along - it took crystal clear photos.

By the way, "The Remembered Fragrance" was not Daisy's first ever published story. She had also written at least one article for the SATURDAY EVENING POST before then. I'm still trying to find that article but I haven't been able to find the name of the article or the date of the issue.

Anyway, enjoy. The cover is from Galactic Central. What a stroke of luck that they had this particular cover, because they don't have that many from the early years.




















. Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

BISH said...

Most cool ...

Deka Black said...

I must say this is a wonderful way to start friday!

Walker Martin said...

Laurie, I'm glad to see that your research on Daisy Bacon continues. I'm always interested in your posts about her life and career.

David Cranmer said...

Great text and illustrations. Such style back then.