Monday, October 29, 2012

Ride Out the Storm

Preempting Halloween this week:

A lot of my friends from the pulp community are on the East Coast, including many in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and New York. I'm thinking of you today and until the storm rides out. I hope and pray that everyone emerges on the other side with minimal damage. Remember to keep yourselves safe first, then your family and your pets, and THEN your pulps. I say that in jest, because I know you all know this. But I know how terrifying it can feel to think that Mother Nature could wipe out a collection that took years, sometimes decades, to build. I thought of my grandfather's pulps every time I heard of a fire in Santa Clarita Valley when I lived there.

I'll be checking in with some of you privately as the week goes on. In the meantime, if you still have electricity and everything is buttoned down and safe, feel free to comment here and let us know how you're doing.

For those of you on Facebook, these photos are on the NOAA NWS National Hurricane Center page.

Bookmark and Share

6 comments:

Barry Traylor said...

I heard on the radio at 6:00 AM that around 2 million are without power in NJ so it may be awhile before we hear from Walker or Ed. As I mentioned over on FB where my wife and I live seems to have been spared the worst. 30 miles west in York, Pa and north in Lebanon (perhaps 35+ miles away) they weren't so lucky. Glad I don't line in Atlantic City as they got around 11 inches of rain. The only pulps in my basement are on a display rack so it was easy to take them upstairs. I wish I could say the same for what felt like a ton of HC books.

Walker Martin said...

Despite losing power for a couple days, the Collection survived. I'm limping around from picking up hundreds of branches. I did something that I haven't done since I was kid. I read pulps by flashlight and candlelight.

Barry Traylor said...

Glad you are ok Walker (other than your back of course) I've been wondering if you lost power. On Sunday I moved what seemed like a ton of books upstairs from the basement/family room just in case.

nj physical therapists said...

Hi nice Post written by you guys. It is amazing and wonderful to visit your site. Thank a ton for such a nice post.

back pain treatment nj said...

Hi nice Post written by you guys. It is amazing and wonderful to visit your site. Thank a ton for such a nice post.

physicsl therapists nj said...

Delighted that I found your site, fantastic info. I will bookmark and try to visit more frequently.