Monday, October 22, 2012

John Saxon: versatile, cool, and still eye candy

Classic film fans might enjoy this article in the L.A. Times today on actor John Saxon. He's being interviewed this Thursday at the American Cinematheque's Egyptian Theatre, in between screenings of ENTER THE DRAGON and THE APPALOOSA.

How many of you have seen THE APPALOOSA, in which Marlon Brando starred? I didn't know that Saxon had won a Golden Globe for that performance. I also didn't know that Saxon was in A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET, but my knowledge of horror films hovers pretty close to zero.

Check out the photos with the article. He still looks pretty damn good.

When I first saw THE APPALOOSA, I was more interested in the stunning horse, rather than the romantic and white-man-vs.-Mexican-man conflict. I haven't seen the movie in many years so I don't know how I would feel about the movie. Judging by the trailer here, I'm inclined to think that the movie hasn't aged well.





Bookmark and Share

5 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I've always enjoyed his work, though I think of him mostly as a B list actor, I guess.

Deka Black said...

Shame on me, because i onnly remember him from Enter the Dragon.

Oscar said...

He came along about the time Tony Curtis did, as I recall, and never got much publicity. Why, I don't know.

Walker Martin said...

I saw this a few months ago and you are right about how the film has not aged well. Brando's method acting has not aged well either. Mediocre at best.

Laurie Powers said...

In the article he talks about how Brando was basically phoning in on the movie. He was depressed and bored.