Saturday, January 14, 2012

Probably Never Heard of This One Before

I took Annie to one of the parks in this town this morning. This park has a contingent of people who bring their dogs every single morning to gather and let the dogs play. I've taken Annie there a few times before, but it's been infrequent because I work. So everytime we've gone, Annie has to get used to being around these dogs again.

At first I think she was actually scared of all the dogs. But she eventually began to socialize with the Labs, Australian Shepherds, Labradoodles, beagles,hounds and mutts and even chased one yellow Lab around for a while.

Anyway, about the time we got ready to go, I put Annie's leash on. I turned to talk to someone, and Annie was behind me. Suddenly she lurched at another dog - and pulled me straight off my feet - backwards. I landed ON Annie. She let out a yelp, got up and wouldn't put weight on one of her hind legs. (Hey, I don't weigh THAT much.) As for me, it seemed like a soft landing, and nothing hurt.

Everybody at the park came over in a panic. We massaged Annie's hip for a few minutes and she eventually put weight on it and we walked slowly back to the car. I felt bad for her - she is almost 9 now and has a hard time getting over injuries. Having her mom fall on her probably was scary as hell too.

It's about 9 hours later. Annie is totally fine. As for me, I'm sore as hell and can barely walk. I guess that's what you call karmic justice.


Bookmark and Share

8 comments:

Deka Black said...

Phew, glad both of you are safe.

Barry Traylor said...

Glad it wasn't anything worse.

Charles Gramlich said...

youch. Glad it didn't turn out too bad. Hope you feel better quickly

Oscar said...

Those falls use muscles you didn't know you had and result in pain and stiffness for a few days. If you hadn't fallen on Annie, you might be feeling much worse. Glad you're both doing better.

Laurie Powers said...

I'm feeling much better today. I iced my back yesterday and took a bunch of advil. Annie got several baby aspirin and seems fine today. One thing I realized yesterday is that she is getting old and it's starting to show. :(

Barry Traylor said...

Something similar happened to me a couple years ago. I was walking my neighbor's yellow Lab "Benson" I checked for traffic before crossing the street and did not realize that Benson had stepped in front of me. Needless to say I fell over him and landed on my right hip. Benson was fine but it took me a week of limping before I was ok. Of course I am a few years older than you (rather not say how much a few is).

Cap'n Bob said...

Let's hope neither of you has a permanent injury. They're no fun at all. Maybe you should have had a massage, too.

Ron Scheer said...

95% of the time, my dog is exactly where I think she is when we're out for a walk. The other 5% is what's going to put me in a body cast some day... Glad the pain killers are working.