Sunday, October 2, 2011

A Question for Pulp Collectors...

How many of you out there go to estate sales to look for collections? I'm curious, as it would seem that they would be good places to find pulps. If you go, have you had any success finding pulps? What about collectible books? I love going to estate sales myself, not just for pulps but for pretty much anything, but especially books.

I recently found this site, Estate Sales.org, which lists upcoming estate sales. It looks like they have a good inventory, and I really like the format.

The link to EstateSales.org will be going up in my Favorite Web Sites list on the right if you want to find it at a later date.

Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

Alfred Jan said...

I live in Santa Clara county (50 miles south of San Francisco) and do not even bother with estate sales because I don't find any interesting magazines, let alone pulps. When eBay sellers say the listed pulps or magazines came from estate sales, they are usually based in the Midwest or East Coast. They occasionally appear at local flea markets, but most people know their value and list them on eBay.

Cap'n Bob said...

The last few I checked, and an estate auction, had nothing. Neat furniture, but nothing I collect.

Barry Traylor said...

My friend Chet Williamson once had a stunning find at an estate sale that he attended with his wife. The funny thing was that he went with her just to keep her company but what he found still takes my breath away when I think of it. The house was packed to the gills with book, vintage paperbacks and pulps. Chet acquired something on the order of 2,000 pulps that day. Not junk titles either, really good titles and here is the real kicker. They looked like new!
After that I began attending them myself but all I seemed to find were old Readers Digests and tattered National Geographics. I used to have fair luck at flea markets. Among my finds was a complete run of Argosy from 1930 to 1939 (also like new) some with subscription reminders inside.