Monday, October 24, 2011

Pulps A-Z: The Letter J (And some notes on doing research.)

Back from my trip to the east coast. Spent most of today just trying to catch up. How good was the trip? Let's just say I didn't think about the blog once. Not that I don't love doing the blog, but my mind was elsewhere. In addition, the fall colors were glorious but I didn't take any pictures, even though I brought my Canon SLR with me. I was so busy driving from one place to the next - there were days when I literally had to stop and think for a minute because I couldn't keep my locations and people straight.

But my camera did come in handy in a strange way. One of my stops was at Syracuse University, where I went with Nicky Wheeler-Nicholson to do research in the Street & Smith collection for my new project. Some of you have already gone to Syracuse in the past and know that in the past you could have the staff photocopy many of the documents in the archives from the Street & Smith archives, including copies of pulp stories from the bound volumes they have. I had many WILD WEST WEEKLY stories written by my grandfather copied back in 1999.

Not anymore. The University will not guarantee that they will photocopy any of the pulp stories, because the pulps are getting so fragile. It's strictly on a case by case basis. And both Nicky and I struck out with ALL of the pulp stories we wanted copied. Which is where my digital camera really came in handy. I spent quite a few hours copying page after page of stories (and praying that I'd be able to read the text later once I uploaded the pics to my camera). I will say that all of the stories I wanted copied were pre-1928, so they were quite old. Some of you wanting to research post 1930 pulps might have better luck. But take a digital camera just in case.

I had a fantastic time, and met some terrific people who were extremely generous with their time and the paperwork they had that I need for my project. I spent over $300 to ship materials back to my house. I wish I could tell you more about my project, but experience has shown me that some things need to be kept under wraps, at least for now.

Anyway, on to the Pulps A-Z. This week the letter is J. And man, I thought "I" was hard. I must be in the drought of letters right now. But I did find three that were somewhat unusual. Here they are. This 1931 Jungle Stories is a earlier version of the magazine that featured Ki-Gor, which was launched 7 years after this version folded (after only three issues.)

JACK LONDON'S ADVENTURE, October 1958

JACK DEMPSEY'S FIGHT MAGAZINE, May 1934

JUNGLE STORIES, December 1931.



Bookmark and Share

5 comments:

Todd Mason said...

JACK LONDON wasn't a pulp...it was a digest launched by B.G. Davis as a companion to ELLERY QUEEN'S MYSTERY MAGAZINE, which he'd just bought. JACK didn't do nearly so well, and folded very quickly.

But, yup, not a lot of J pulp titles rushing up out of the memory...

Cap'n Bob said...

Glad you're back. Can't wait to hear about this secret plan of yours. I hope it doesn't have anything to do with conquering the world with an atomic death ray.

WV: parepul--to remove the rind from a pul.

Deka Black said...

For some reason,i fon all the covers scary in one or another way.

Barry Traylor said...

Sounds like your trip East was a real mind cleanser and productive to boot.
When you did the previous post I was pretty sure J was going to be a toughie. The Clayton Jungles are pretty darn rare. It has years since I saw any for sale, that was at a Pulpcon at least 15 years ago.
That's a nice Emswiller cover on the Jack London magazine

Karen Anderson said...

Cap'n Bob: As the widow of someone published there, I can tell you that JACK LONDON was a pulp, and so was EQMM. They were printed on newsprint-type paper, as opposed to the "slicks," like COLLIER'S and THE SATURDAY EVENING POST. Were? Still are -- EQMM, HITCHCOCK'S, ASIMOV'S, FANTASY AND SCIENCE FICTION, ASTOUNDING (now ANALOG) SCIENCE FICTION. Not only are the pulps still alive, they are the only remaining fiction magazines.