Thursday, August 18, 2011

Birthday Bash, 1930s Style

A friend of mine is celebrating her 60th birthday this weekend. Which isn't that out of the ordinary, but the way she's marking the occasion is kind of fun. She's rented a great and rather famous house in the Santa Monica area for the evening and everyone who's invited is coming dressed in the spirit of 1930s glamour. So we all get to dress up and have some fun.

I'm lucky enough to know of a vintage clothing store called Threads of Time in San Pedro, and a few weekends ago I went down to try on a few dresses. Man, I don't think I ever really realized how beautiful clothes could be back then. I was so taken with the three dresses I was shown, and their prices were so good, that I bought all three of them. Something about 1930s fashion has definitely struck a chord with me.

Although I'm sure a lot of people will be dressed a la Jean Harlow, I've chosen to wear more of an everyday dress, like the dresses below, only because it fits me better than the other two. And my best friend is wearing one of the others, so they'll get some use.

It'll be interesting to see the dresses at the party. And a photographer will be there to take our pictures. This might be something I end up doing for one of my birthdays myself one day.


Anyway, Bookmark and Share

5 comments:

Barry Traylor said...

What a neat idea. I love the dress styles of the 1930's. I hope that does not make me sound too "girly" but the clothing styles of the early to late 30's is a fascinating subject. You can get a rough idea of the year from the dress style and of course the hats. Being a huge fan of movies of that period gives one a chance to see these elegant styles.

Richard R. said...

Very cool. I hope we can see some of the pictures from the party.

Ron Scheer said...

Great idea. It was a wonderful decade for style. Would love to show up in a George Raft suit and fedora.

Elisabeth Grace Foley said...

Oh, my, that sounds like something I'd enjoy! I love vintage fashions too. Watching classic film always makes me wish the styles of those decades would come back in fashion.

Cap'n Bob said...

You definately need to post some pix of you and your friends in those clothes. There were some absurd outfits in those days, if some of those old movies are to be believed, but there were also some stunners.