Saturday, July 23, 2011

A New Saturday Morning Tradition For Western Pulp Fans

For those of you who can't get enough of the pulp Western, James Reasoner has a great post today on BULL'S EYE WESTERN, a short-lived magazine from 1934. James writes about a specific issue of a Western pulp every Saturday with his series "Saturday Morning Western Pulp." Now you have something to take the place of all those Western television shows you used to watch every Saturday morning as a kid.

Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Walker Martin said...

I've been following this series ever since James Reasoner started it on his blog, ROUGH EDGES. As near as I can figure, by looking through the dates, the first "Saturday Morning Western Pulp" appeared on his blog on February 5, 2011. That's about 6 months ago, which means there are 24 or 25 installments to look at each Saturday.

Every Saturday, the first thing I think of is looking to see the new western pulp. But then again, I'm addicted to the smell of pulp in the morning(Some film fans think Robert Duvall said that he loved the smell of napalm in the morning, but I always hear it as "I love the smell of Pulp in the morning").

Barry Traylor said...

My favorite saturday morning Western show when I was a kid was The Gabby Hayes Show. I loved that guy when I was a kid, I think it was because he was the grandfather I wished I had. A friend of mine who is about 8 years younger than I am told me once that when Gabby fired the cannon with puffed rice at the camera he would hide behind the sofa.

The show was sponsored by Quaker Oats puffed cereals, which were "shot from guns". As was common at the time, the host delivered the commercial. This often included Hayes firing a small cannon loaded with the cereal at the camera, while warning the viewers to "Watch out for your televisionary sets!"