Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Hidden Wetland

Yesterday I took Annie for a walk along a short bike path close by my house. It's really a short trail that kind of dead ends in the middle of nowhere. A row of apartment buildings border it on one side; on the other is a small arroyo with rows of trees that hide what's on the other side, which is probably a boulevard.

So it's pleasant, but certainly not "away from it all." Still, I like taking Annie there because it's very restful in the late afternoon and in the summer is the place to be if you like spectacular sunsets.

Another reason I like it is because hidden behind some non-descript bushes is a very small pond which I guess could qualify as a wetland. It's so small that I didn't even know it was there the first several times I walked the path.

These are a few photos I took yesterday. I could have taken a lot more, but it was getting late. Note the watchful eye of the bird in the last photo: he/she crossed my path on my way back to the car.

Wetlands are one of my favorite natural areas to visit, and I'm not quite sure why. Maybe it's because they don't seem like much on the surface, but if you just sit and pay attention, they can be full of surprises.













Bookmark and Share

10 comments:

Deka Black said...

aaaw, Ducks! I love ducks ^^

oh, and cograts in your nomination, Laurie ;)

Barry Traylor said...

Be they large or small I find wetlands to be fascinating because they are so life sustaining.
How was Annie with the ducks?

Ron Scheer said...

Great pics, again. I like the middle one of the branch of leaves in the foreground.

Wetlands appeal to some of us, because they're an in-between ecosystem that supports all manner of above-ground and aquatic life. I hope the appreciation for them continues to grow. Alas, the wetlands at what's now Marina del Rey are remembered on a commemorative plaque there as a pest-infested swamp. That attitude can't change too soon...

Cap'n Bob said...

I can't look at a pond without wondering if there are any fish in it, and what kind.

Laurie Powers said...

Thank you Deka.

Barry, Annie couldn't care less. Now Xena would have been intently interested in them. She probably would have tried to jump in the pond.

Chris said...

I love wetlands. I have one very near my house that I visit almost every day.

Richard R. said...

I wonder what kind of hawk or falcon that is.

Lana Gramlich said...

That hawk's either a sharp-shinned or a Cooper's hawk. If it was about the size of a dove, the former. Larger than that, the latter. Very cool!

Richard R. said...

Thanks, Charles!!!

Richard R. said...

Oops. Anyway... judging from the size of the foliage, I'd guess Sharp-Shined.