Thursday, June 16, 2011

Checking In.

I'm starting to feel better, so I think I'll be able to revive the blog by this weekend. In case anyone's wondering what the heck's been up, it's basically been my neck. Hey, that rhymes,...kind of...

But seriously, I've been suffering from head and neck pain for several months. It was getting so bad that I could not find a comfortable way to work on the computer for more than 5 minutes or so without suffering from headaches and/or neck pain. A lot of my issues are exacerbated because I'm on the computer for 8+ hours every day. And I write on my own time, too, you know.

But I have been going through intense physical therapy so I can get back to work and writing. But there's no magic bullet. And I guess like a lot of physical therapy, there's no steady improvement - there's ups and downs and backsliding and frustration. I'm also having to change almost everything about how I go about my day: and how I stand, how I sit, how I walk, how I read, how I think about things - because it all affects our bodies in one way or another. One by one, we are trying to tackle everything I have been doing wrong for the past 50+ years. Oh yeah, and I'm getting new glasses. I have to do so many exercises now that I told my physical therapist "stop - I can't remember all of these!"

But as she told me, at least we're tackling it. She said that if I didn't do something I would have to retire, and that scared the hell out of me. (Not that I don't like the idea of retiring, but it's a little too early for that!)

This is about all I can do for now. I'll do something over the weekend, promise. There's so much to write about, like PulpFest and so many other events and goings on. I'm also in the middle of proofing the new RIDING THE PULP TRAIL. In addition, this movie is coming out tomorrow:

Everyone have a good weekend!


Bookmark and Share

12 comments:

Bill Crider said...

Glad to hear about the improvement. I hope it continues!

Deka Black said...

Glad to hear about the improvement. And... let me say this: Your girls can help a lot! My dog helped me when i had a car accident.

can help you with the thinking satuff, for example ;)

Ron Scheer said...

Lots of PT, too, here, strengtening muscles to compensate for a blown out shoulder. Yeah, welcome to the world of pain. Reminds me, I need to do the T-band drill yet today. Will do that now... BTW, new glasses can make a big difference with head and neck pain...Nice to have you back.

Richard R. said...

Glad you're feeling a little better and working on full recovery. The first thing I'd have done was lower the height of the monitor, too high and you kink up the neck looking up. I'm eager to hear when we can expect the book!

Laurie Powers said...

Thanks, Bill! I hope it continues, too.

Yes, Deka - they have been helping. For example, Chloe insists on sleeping on my stomach whenever I lie down to rest. Very therapeutic.

Ron, sorry to hear about your shoulder. But you made me laugh with the T-band drill remark - we are in the same world, aren't we?

Thanks Rick - actually I knew about lowering the monitor years ago and fixed that a long time ago. Like I said, there's no magic bullet. But you're totally right about that part of it - I can't stand watching a TV mounted on a wall, and when we go to the movies and the only seats left are in the front, I say "no thanks - I'll see it some other time."

Cap'n Bob said...

I've been doing PT since January for my shoulder and decided this will be my final month. I'm about 60% back to normal and I hope to get fully restored if I continue the exercises. So I can sympathize 100% with your dilemma even though a neck problem is worse than one in the shoulder. I'll hold a good thought for you and keep my fingers crossed.

Deka Black said...

Stomach? you're lucky. For some reason, My dog wanted alwys to sleep in my feet.

Barry Traylor said...

Happy to hear that there has been some improvement. My wife had a spinal fusion about 5 years ago (some sort of Klingon clamp in her lower back) and it is a slow process. She is much tougher than I am.

Charles Gramlich said...

glad you are feeling somewhat better. I hope that continues. I've had periods like this. I have learned to use my laptop laying propped up in bed. Changing positions seems to help me a fair amount. Luck.

Randy Johnson said...

Good to see you're feeling better. I know the feeling. When I was working and sitting in front of a computer, I was lucky to get the chance to drive a fork life(I worked in shipping), so I was relieved to get out of the office. Now, at home, I spend too much time sitting here where I am now and it usually tells in my fingers.

Oscar said...

Thanks for the heads-up on the movie, Buck. It looks like a keeper. Welcome back, glad to hear you're doin' better.

David Cranmer said...

I hope you continue to feel better, Laurie.