Monday, May 23, 2011

Badass Women of the Pulp Era

Thanks to David Cranmer for this tip:

Jess Nevins has written an intriguing piece over at io9. It's so interesting that I'm going to send you straight over there to read it. The name of the piece is "Badass Women of the Pulp Era."

Nevins won my heart with this introduction:

....the pulps were more progressive than mainstream fiction (and film and comic strips, etc.) in a number of respects, including and especially the number of formidable female characters who appeared in them. Even excluding those characters whose writers forced them into marriage and respectability, the list of Women Badder Than You is long.

I'd like to hear all of your opinions about this essay. I hope that one day I can be part of this exclusive group of Badass Women of the Pulp Era, if only because it's such a great title.

This is the first time I've looked at io9, although I haven't been around much lately. Do any of you know anything about this blog?




Bookmark and Share

5 comments:

Walker Martin said...

Jess Nevins is working on The Encyclopedia of Pulp Heroes which should be published in the near future. I also have his Encyclopedia of Fantastic Victoriana. He also did a book on pulp holdings in universities.

Charles Gramlich said...

Sounds well worth checking out.

Deka Black said...

Hmm interesting read.

Barry Traylor said...

although I check in at io9 every couple of days (my email adress isn't oldspacehound by accident) I haven't had the time to read Jess Nevins essay as yet.

Todd Mason said...

Jess's essays for io9 are the cream of what they publish...since Jess, as Walker points out, is an actual scholar in the field of literature, particularly popular fiction over the last century and more. Most of what io9 publishes tends to be off the top of the head, or has no excuse at all for it failings if not.