Sunday, April 24, 2011

Sale Prices from the Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention Auction

The Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention, held annually in Chicago, is known for having great auctions full of stunning pulp magazines for sale, many from the collections of some of the finest collectors in the world. Judging from what I've heard and from the list below, it looks like this year's auction (held last weekend) was no exception. Most of the collection came from the estate of well-known collector and comic authority Jerry Weist, who sadly passed away earlier this year.

Many, many thanks to Barry Traylor, who was kind and patient enough to sit through the auction and jot down the winning prices. The only ones he wasn't able to get were some of the Edgar Rice Burroughs books.

Each lot has a handwritten number written at the end of the description: that is the price - in dollars - it sold for. If you do a double take, you're not alone.

You can click on each page to get a bigger view.













Bookmark and Share

6 comments:

Rick said...

This is great info. Thanks.

Walker Martin said...

I was there for the Friday and Saturday night auctions and was very impressed by the spirited and agressive bidding. The attendance was close to 450, but most did not take part in the bidding, yet quite a few thousands of dollars were bid.

Just bidding on insane items like sport pulps and men's adventure magazines, I spent over $2,000 myself. I remember some items went high like a DIME SPORTS with a Robert Howard story going for $700 and a NEW STORY MAGAZINE from the teens going for close to $3000.

By the way, there was a 10% buyer's premium in addition to the auction figures.

Deka Black said...

I',amazed, really. Don't know what to say about the proces 0_0 Well, only one thing: Wish i had the money paisd for some issues! ;)

Barry Traylor said...

Sorry I miised getting the prices on so many of the Burroughs items as I just had to take a break. And I hope people can read my hand written prices. John Gunnison is a wonderful auctioneer and gets through large auctions with speed and humor. He really is quite entertaining. He is kind enough to do that job for us at PulpFest also.
I never get the chance to jot down the selling prices at PulpFest as I am just to darn busy. Actually, some of the lots went for good prices. For instance I bid on and won the 1948 lot of Adventure (all 12 issues) for $70.00, that comes out to only $5.83 per issue.

Barry Traylor said...

Almost forgot to add (after reading Walker's post) that we do not add a buyer's premium at PulpFest. Just the seller's charge of 10%. We do not use a reserve price, but we do charge the seller 10% of his minimum if the item does not sell. I feel that keeps a seller from putting on an unrealistic minimum.

Cap'n Bob said...

Wow! I thought the prices were high until I noticed most of the lots were for groups of magazines.

I hadn't heard about Jerry's passing. That's a shame. I can't say I knew him but we met at my first con (comics) in 1970 when he was showing his latest issue of Squa Tront. RIP.