Thursday, April 21, 2011

Pulp Covers: The Lone Ranger (with some movie gossip)

The new Lone Ranger movie is still very far off: the scheduled release is 2014. Of course, there's all kind of buzz going on because Johnny Depp has been tapped to play Tonto. For a while it was rumored that Ryan Gosling would play The Lone Ranger, but it was announced a few days ago that he's out of the project due to his schedule.

Gore Verbinski of Pirates of the Caribbean is directing the film. The fact that Disney is backing this makes me a little troubled. I'm thinking amusement park rides, video games, merchandising....but then how does a big movie get made nowadays without all that?

On a positive note, ScreenRant posted producer Jerry Bruckheimer's logo for the movie, which is pretty cool - reminiscent of the original series.

According to the Wikipedia page on the Lone Ranger , this new movie has been in development hell since 2002. It's been through several rewrites, (at least three) and early on there was even discussion to change Tonto character to a female love interest. Really?? It seems that the only constant over the past few years has been the commitment of Johnny Depp to the project.

I found it quite interesting that the Wikipedia entry, which lists at great lengths all of the television shows, films, radio programs, serials, toys, and comic books for the Lone Ranger, doesn't mention the fact that the Lone Ranger had his own pulp magazine.

The LONE RANGER pulp magazine lasted for only 8 issues, although there are 9 covers listed on the Galactic Central site - the first one being from August 1936 and is an "ash can" issue. (Can someone clue us in on the term "ash can" for pulps?). The first issue was April 1937, and it ran monthly until November of that year. The ADVENTURE HOUSE GUIDE TO PULPS shows the publisher as Trojan Publishing Corp.

Here are some of the covers.

August 1936

April 1937

July 1937

August 1937

September 1937

Let's just hope that the new Lone Ranger movie goes the way of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, and not the latest Sherlock Holmes movie. Or the Green Hornet movie, or the Spiderman Broadway production, or......


Bookmark and Share

10 comments:

Cap'n Bob said...

I hope for the best and expect the worst. As for merchandising, the original LR wasn't shy about it. I wish I had some of those items: cap guns, playsets, mask, hat, outfit, wallet, ring, spoon, printde matter, etc.

Howard said...

Great covers! I am really worried about the movie after some of the things I have read. And especially after Green Hornet. Back in the 80s when I was publishing my pulpzine Golden Perils, I ran a great article on these by Al Tonik. I think one or two have been reprinted recently in a nice trade paperback. Oh, and I have it on very good authority, there will be some big Lone Ranger news very soon...

Evan Lewis said...

Cool covers. Who knew the Ranger had more than one shirt? I think the term ashcan originated with comics. Occasionally a publisher wanted to secure rights to a title in a hurry, without actually distributing an issue, so they'd print one up and toss it in the trash.

Walker Martin said...

I will be amazed if the new Lone Ranger movie is any good. For me the Lone Ranger is part of our culture decades ago. The serials from the 1930's and the TV show from the 1950's capture the character, but that time has passed and I don't see how they can bring it back today.

Deka Black said...

Cool covers indeed. I remember watch a animation series years ago. But i believed The Lone Ranger pulp was more succesfull.

Barry Traylor said...

I sure do hope they do a better job than the one they did years ago. I made the mistake of going to see it and I have tried to remove the memory from my mind. At the Westin last weekend every time I would turn on the tv in my room for the weather I would see a promo for that deadful version of The Green Hornet. Even those few seconds before I changed the channel made me feel queasy.

Barry Traylor said...

I just had another thought regarding the LR movie. I doubt they will use the William Tell overture. Most likely a Rock&Roll score. Don't get me wrong, I love Rock music but not for this movie.

Cap'n Bob said...

Gack! Barry, you made me think the music for the LR movie might be rap. Remember the Dragnet spoof with Dan Ackroyd?

Randy Johnson said...

Does anyone remember the TV movie of a few years back which had a "Young" Ranger. I think it was the same network that does Smallville.

Lem Nash said...

RE: Ashcan- was used to secure copyright of a title and was submitted to library of congress as such. Only a couple of copies were printed and usually had a couple of stories in it. Hope this will clear it up some. Best wishes