Monday, March 14, 2011

Weekend Recap

The visit with my family this weekend went great, with one exception which I will fill you in on in a moment. We visited the Harry Carey Ranch on Saturday and then the William Hart house on Sunday. Two-gun Bill would be very pleased at the amount of people that showed up for the tour (which run every half-hour from 11 to 3ish on the weekends). For our tour at noon yesterday, there were about 20 people.

It's funny that even though this is probably the fourth time I've gone through the house, I learn something new every time. Each docent has a different style and emphasizes different aspects of the house or Hart's life. So it never comes repetitive.

On the way back, though, we had a big scare with my mother. My mom is 83 now - we celebrated her birthday Saturday night. On the way up the driveway at my house, she tripped and fell - nose first - and hit the bumper of my sister's car on the way down. She hit the bumper so hard that it sounded like two cars had hit, and she even broke the tail light. The only bleeding was on the outside of her nose but, needless to say, she gave all of us heart attacks and we insisted that she go to the hospital anyway to make sure she didn't have a concussion. Good news is that she was fine - nothing showed up on the CAT scan. And we all got to tease her about how hard her head is and how my sister's insurance agent will never believe this one.

Other than trips to the Harry Carey Ranch, the Hart House and the ER, we spent most of our time glued to CNN and MSNBC all weekend.

But I'm exhausted and am now going to bed.



IBookmark and Share

7 comments:

Cap'n Bob said...

Sounds like your mom is one tough cookie. I'm glad she wasn't hurt worse. I envy you the trips to the museums.

David Cranmer said...

I'm glad to hear your mom is doing fine.

Deka Black said...

Your mom is tough, without doubt! glad she's well, and, as we say this side of the pond: "giving war" (don't worry Laurie, the words are used in a very very good way ;)

Barry Traylor said...

Glad that your mother is ok. I imagine the insurance person will do a double take when they hear how the tail light was broken.

Laurie Powers said...

Thanks everyone. Considering my mom is five foot tall, it's hard to believe she's so tough, but she is.

Richard R. said...

Boy, am I glad she's not seriously injured! I think it was lucky. The deductible will be more than a new tail light lens.

Ron Scheer said...

I'm guessing Hart would have loved that story. Glad you Mom's OK. Real pioneer stock, she is.