Saturday, March 26, 2011

Meet Chloe

My goddaughter and I found her at the Castaic Animal Shelter yesterday. I named her Chloe after a black Belgian Malnois dog we had when I was a kid.

She's 8 years old, full of mats and nothing but bones underneath all that hair. Her hair is so matted that we may have to shave her; I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow for a check up and to see what they think. I'm hoping that her teeth aren't a mess.

There isn't much backstory that we know of; someone surrendered her, but they had only had her for 3 weeks. Apparently she had showed up at their home as a stray. So the poor thing has been through the ringer. She was so depressed at the shelter that we had to coax her to even lift her head. But once I saw her eyes and how she responded to me, I knew I was taking her home.

So far she's stayed in my closet and she only comes out to eat. But at least she's eating - a lot. And now, 24 hours later, she comes right out of the closet when I call her name. It's baby steps, but it's progress.

Annie was very excited to see her, but Chloe hissed at her and I think it kind of freaked Annie out. But Annie has always been respectful of cats, so I'm hoping that they'll eventually get along.

No animal can replace Xena, but Annie seemed to be quite lonely and depressed over the last few weeks. I don't want to get another dog, but I believe a cat is a nice addition. And there's no way that she's going to be an outdoor cat.



Bookmark and Share

15 comments:

Deka Black said...

Hello Chloe! Nice cat, very nice ^^

Bill Crider said...

A cutie, and very lucky to have found such a good home.

Barry Traylor said...

As I commented over at FB she looks like a Maine Coon Cat a bit. Nice name, our remaining cat is called Cleo.
Bless you for adopting an older cat as they tend to be passed over.

Ron Scheer said...

Love the coloring; she's going to be beautiful...Maybe she's figured that out already...

Walker Martin said...

A good pulp collecting friend of mine, The Major, occasionally takes care of another friend's cat. One time I sold him a box of SATURDAY EVENING POSTS with some nice pulpy slick stories. The Major noticed the cat was not using the litter box and later found out that the feline preferred doing her business in the box of POSTS.

Evan Lewis said...

Good on you for rescuing a shelter cat.

PAUL BISHOP said...

Too cute... Hey, are you going to be at the Vintage Paperback Collectors convention at the Guest House in Mission Hills/Chatsworth tomorrow? I'm going to get there around 10:00.

Laurie Powers said...

Good news - tonight she and Annie hung out together and did very well. I don't think she is a Maine Coon cat Barry - I know she has Siamese and something long hair too.

Sorry Paul but I won't be going this year. I'm going to Courtney Joyner's talk at OutWest in the afternoon and I have to take my new pet to the vet in the morning. Is the paperback show two days?

David Cranmer said...

Beautiful cat, Laurie.

Charles Gramlich said...

And she'll never know quite how lucky she is.

Oscar said...

Nice looking coat on Chloe. Good luck with her.

Cap'n Bob said...

That's one lucky cat.

Cap'n Bob said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Richard R. said...

How charming she is! That she came out that fast is a very good sign, and you'll have to learn to brush her OFTEN and for heaven sakes keep he inside!, please. Follow the vet's advice and keep inviting her to your lap until she understands you are safe and loving. It's the same process Barbara went through with Charlotte, our recently deceased cat. Chloe is certainly a beauty! Congratulations.

Melissa Marsh said...

She's beautiful, Laurie. I hope she is feeling better...

My cat adapted remarkably well to the move from the apartment to our new house...much better than I expected! She was also a rescue when I first got her and it took her quite awhile to warm up to us, but she did eventually. Just takes lots of love, which I know you and Annie will give her!