Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Do You Wanna Write a Western? Don't Miss C. Courtney Joyner's Talk This Weekend

Some of you might be familiar with C. Courtney Joyner, who is a screenwriter, novelist and now also a Black Horse Western author. I met Courtney last year at the Republic 75th Anniversary, and now I'm looking forward to seeing him again this Sunday at Out West, where he will be talking on the topic of "Breaking into Western Fiction: (Both "E" and Paper!)"

Courtney has plenty of experience in all sorts of writing: as a screenwriter, he has 20 produced movies to his credit, has contributed to several books on film history, and is the author of THE WESTERNERS: INTERVIEWS WITH ACTORS, DIRECTORS, WRITERS AND PRODUCERS (which I will be reviewing later this week).

The OutWest website says:

Mr. Joyner's talk will cover a number of topics, from his own experience of breaking into the world of western fiction and getting a novel contract. He will discuss series westerns (and the reality of getting these gigs), agents, editor relationships and the importance of networking via The Western Writers of America and other groups. He will also discuss the changes at Leisure Books, what "shelf place" means to paperback writers, Kindle and Nook, university presses, the new avenue of personal e-book publishing, blogging, and private Amazon contracts for authors. Additional topics include writing contests and exploring over-seas publishers, such as Robert Hale (Black Horse Westerns).


I don't need to tell any of you that all of these topics are really important to anyone who writes Western fiction (and also those of us who are doing reprints, too). We could use all the ammunition we can get our hands on in order to get published nowadays, so Courtney's generosity in sharing his experience is something that certainly I don't want to overlook.

If you're interested in going, the event is this Sunday, March 27, at 2:00 PM, at the OutWest Western Boutique at 24265 Main Street in Old Town Newhall. There is no admission fee, but you need to call the store to make a reservation: 661.255.7087


Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

Deka Black said...

If there is a heaven for western lovers, i'm sure you have your plavce granted, Laurie ;)

Barry Traylor said...

Many years ago when a friend had his first short story published in the Twilight Zone magazine I tried my hand at writing a Horror story. And guess what? It was indeed horrible.
I always wanted to be a writer but I am reminded of something the late John D. McDonald said when someone saw him at a party and told him that he always wanted to be a writer. McDonald would reply, "I always wanted to be a brain surgeon".

I.J. Parnham said...

I've heard that tale attributed to a few authors with the version I like being a brain surgeon telling an author at a party that when he retired he was thinking of becoming an author and getting the reply of, 'what a co-incidence, when I retire I'm thinking of becoming a brain surgeon.'

Laurie Powers said...

Thank you, Deka. :)

Barry, I bet your story was better than that. If you have a good horror story to tell you should get it down on paper - it can always be edited later.