Monday, March 21, 2011

Back From Arizona

Well I got back from Arizona by the skin of my teeth. Everything went well (except I forgot to take pictures of what I went there for: to see my great Uncle George) but the ride home - the last hour - was hellish due to a torrential downpour that started just east of Los Angeles and didn't stop until about...midnight. Overall, though, it was good to get away from the pain of last week.

My Uncle George, who is 91, is my grandfather's half-brother. He's still in great shape and such a joy to be around. His two sons and their wives joined us for dinner and we chatted about various things. George also shared a story of spending time with Paul in the 1930s that was hilarious, but I can't share it publicly. Let's just say it involved a rite of passage, christened by plenty of whiskey.

And this week started off well with finding out that I've been asked to join a panel at this year's Pulp Fest that will focus on Pulp Writers Granddaughters. Karen Cunningham, granddaugher of Frederick C. Davis, (Operator #5, among other magazines) and Nicky Brown, granddaughter of Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson, (writer for the adventure pulps and founded what eventually became DC Comics) will be the other panelists. I'm so looking forward to this - it kind of takes the sting out of the fact that I won't be able to go to the Windy City Paper & Pulp Convention coming up next month (and I was really dying to go to that Friday auction).

I'm thrilled and flattered that I was asked to be a panelist. After last year's panel on pulp Westerns, I figured I probably had met my panel quota for a while. Just goes to show that these pulp fiction convention people are gluttons for punishment.




Bookmark and Share

7 comments:

Deka Black said...

Drive with rain is one of my worst nightmares. Glad you're safe. Oh, btw, tell hilarious stories are a sign of good health. At least, is what my family says ;)

And about the panel, interesting subject. Good luck and have fun, Laurie ;)

Barry Traylor said...

We on the committee, Jack Cullers, Ed Hulse, Mike Chomko and myself are pleased you could accept. This panel should be quite interesting and we are all looking forward to it.
The torrential rains like you had to endure can be a real beast. Mike Chomko and I were driving to PulpFest in 2009 and hit such heavy rain in Ohio that I could not even see the cars beside us, and if the car had a hood ornament we could not have seen it. Scary.

Charles Gramlich said...

Thats cool about being a panelist. I always enjoy those things. Just finished the strange death of Ambrose Bierce in BTAP and it was very fine.

Cap'n Bob said...

I wish I could be there to see that panel.

Rain? Why, where I live we call it a sprinkle if it washes away houses.

Laurie Powers said...

Thanks, all. And Charles, I'm glad you read The Strange Death - I love that story. Bob, we got 7 inches of rain here on Sunday. Top that.

Ron Scheer said...

We were returning to LA in that same rain storm. Maybe a little behind you and on the 60. Saw the aftermath of three separate accidents. Added an extra hour to the trip.

Would love to be there for that panel discussion, sitting in the audience with all your fans. Any chance it will be recorded?

Laurie Powers said...

Ron, I just asked Bobbi if that would be a possibility. I'll keep you posted.