Sunday, January 23, 2011

Sunday Morning Hike: Walker Ranch

The girls and I went for a hike this morning. Since I moved to Santa Clarita I've been sticking mainly to walks around town or a few select parks, mainly because I didn't want to try any hiking trails on my own. But after my sour and self-pitying mood of yesterday, I decided I needed to get out, come hell or highwater. I found this great site that belongs to the local Community Hiking Club, and their page on trail destinations is fantastic with very good directions.

I decided to do something easy, especially since the dogs aren't hiking dogs per se. We went to the Walker Ranch Trailhead off of Placerita Canyon Road at about 9 AM this morning. I was wondering if there would be anyone else there; even with the dogs, I'd feel better if there were a few other human beings around. I shouldn't have worried: there were already 8 other cars in the parking area when I got there. But while on the hike, I only encountered two groups of people.

As for what kind of a hike it is, I'll let the photos speak for themselves.








We went up the Waterfall Trail, but we stopped at a certain point; mainly because this was the girls' first real hike and they were just learning to encounter things like crossing water. This coming from two dogs who don't even like to walk on a wet sidewalk when somebody's got their sprinklers running.

Besides, we hit an especially dicey part and with me just wearing tennis shoes (don't ask; I have perfectly good hiking boots at home), I decided to turn back.





But what a glorious day. It certainly set my mood upright again, and it definitely got me to thinking of joining the local hiking club.

As for the girls, they learned to cross creeks and even did a little bouldering. Mt. Everest, here we come!



Bookmark and Share

8 comments:

Ed Hulse said...

The Walker Ranch was another location frequently used in "B" Westerns and at least two of your views of the trail match those used by the photographers of Tom Keene's 1941-42 Monogram Westerns and other deathless examples of cinematic art.

Melissa Marsh said...

Looks gorgeous. And you're right - taking nature hikes is the perfect remedy for a sour mood. I really miss my daily walks around the lake, but there's too much snow and ice on the ground right now!

Deka Black said...

So much green. Is similar to the mountains here. Beautiful place.

Joanne Walpole said...

It looks lovely. Jess would have a field day running about. :-)

Ron Scheer said...

Enjoyed these, thanks. Have been on many trails like this in the mountains and canyons north of the city. The live oaks always appeal to me. Laughed about the wet sidewalks.

Walker Martin said...

Speaking of western movies, the western channel on encore will be having a Tim Holt special day, Jan 29, saturday. Starts around 2:30 pm. Giddy up...

Barry Traylor said...

The sixth photo looks like a set for Robin Hood (the one with Errol Flynn). And the photo with Annie and Xena looking toward the camera is priceless, it is though they are thinking "you are not serious about us going across that raging brook are you Mom"?

Charles Gramlich said...

Ooh that looks nice. I would love that.