Sunday, January 30, 2011

Chaplin Fest Hits the Big Time

You might remember me mentioning the upcoming ChaplinFest next weekend in Newhall. Exciting news today is that the festival has hit the big time and has a full length feature today on AOL news Web site. Go here for the full article.

Here's a clip of the last scene from MODERN TIMES, which was filmed on the Sierra Highway neaby.

If you're interesting in partaking of the many events at Chaplin Fest next weekend, here's their website. I wish I could go, but I'll be in Phoenix visiting my great-uncle George and my cousins.

E.J. Stephens, who spearheaded the Chaplin Fest, is the teach of the Newhallywood film class I took, which ended yesterday with a tour of the Iverson Ranch in Chatsworth. I'll be posting pics of that later. But if you missed the class and would like to attend, E.J. is offering the class again in March. Go to the SCV Historical Society's page for information.

Bookmark and Share

7 comments:

Deka Black said...

being in Spainmakes a bit hard to be there for the fest. So, i hope all of you who go enjoy the festival and have a good time ;)

Ron Scheer said...

Always think of Robert Downey Jr. when I watch Chaplin. Been a while since I saw that biopic and I'd like to give it another go. He makes Chaplin so melancholy throughout. I don't think I've ever heard him talk about the creative choices that went into that performance.

Travel safely.

David Cranmer said...

Great final scene. Matched by CITY LIGHTS but I would hate to live on the difference of which was better.

Laurie Powers said...

Deka, you're just going to have to get over here some day.

Ron, they are playing the Downey movie at the Chaplin Fest - I believe Friday night.

David, I'm not sure if I've ever seen a Chaplin movie all the way through, I'm ashamed to say.

Deka Black said...

Of course laurie. here in Spain we have a sort of saying: "Who don't go alive, go after death". (and this a very awful example of translation ;) )

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Now that's something I'd like to attend if I could. Chaplin is one of my all time heroes. An absolute genius - the way he used his body was awe inspiring. I've got everything available on DVD but it would be so cool to see this stuff on the big screen with an audience.

Anonymous said...

I wonder how this festival went last year. Somehow it wasn't advertised very well. I am sad that I didn't know about it because it would have been something that I would have loved to have gone to. My grandfather, Tiny Sandford, was in this movie. It was his last with Charlie Chaplin. Ironically, not knowing that Modern Times was filmed in Santa Clarita, I live in Canyon Country! I'm glad that someone is still keeping the silent films alive!