Tuesday, December 21, 2010

In These Stressful Days, Don't Forget....

...that tomorrow is the opening of TRUE GRIT. Barry Traylor sent this link to Roger Ebert's review, and it's a good one. I can't wait to see it, but the way the week's going, I'm going to have to wait until next week.

...that we've got a contest going to win a copy of BEAT TO A PULP, ROUND ONE. It's a random drawing and you have until midnight Pacific time, December 24, 2010 to enter. Send your name, address and email address to Powerspulpwriter@gmail.com.

...that you only have three more days to shop. Like you really needed a reminder?!

...to wrap presents while you still have time. Don't wait until midnight on Christmas Eve like I do. Sometimes I've waited too long, and end up wrapping the present in the car in front of the recipient's house. How many of you have done that?!

...to leave cookies and milk out for Santa. I hear he likes snickerdoodles. Oh wait, that would be me.

...to drive carefully this holiday season. We seem to be getting our share of storms this year.

...that there are a lot of people this year that need a little extra help to get through the holidays. Call someone you know who's unemployed. Spend time with a loved one who's depressed. Send a check to someone who's having trouble paying the rent. Donate to a food bank. It's nice to volunteer at a soup kitchen on Christmas, but in these times money is what these places really need.

...to hang stockings for the pets. They like presents, too!

...to try to enjoy the holiday. Do like I do: don't stress out over finding the perfect present. Twenty years from now, people aren't going to remember what you gave them. Unless it's something like a million dollars.




Bookmark and Share

6 comments:

Deka Black said...

The Little rascals! I remember the series from my childhood. No, i'm less than 40 years old. But back in those days, the TV in Spain broadcasted a lot of old W&B shows.

And about what you say... i really hope my neighbours give me a quiet holidays. I know. Sounds like i'm exagerating, but use the vacuum cleaner at 5 AM is not normal.

Ron Scheer said...

To that list, I would add:

...don't forget to check the ark for leaks; you may be needing it if this rain keeps up.

I'll take your advice and wrap the gifts today. Thanks.

Laurie Powers said...

Deka, I hope you have a quiet holiday. Using the vacuum cleaner that early should be outlawed!

Ron: too late. I now have three leaks in the ceiling in the home office! Roofer is coming today.

Barry Traylor said...

Just returned from seeing True Grit and I think everyone here(I hope) will enjoy it. It stuck pretty close to the novel as best as I can recall as it has been almost 40 years since I read it. The young actress that plays Mattie Ross really nailed the part. And Jeff Bridges as Rooster Cogburn will make you forget the Duke, Matt Damon is excellent and makes me more than happy forgetting Glen Campbell. The film has a wonderful look to it and the dialogue is a joy. So don't miss this one.

Deka Black said...

Laurie is a matte rof they having a quarrel (i believe is the right word) with other neighbour in the building were we live. Nothing serious... i hope.

Cap'n Bob Napier said...

I saw True Grit today and loved it. The actors were excellent, the dialogue spot on, and there were a lot of laughs strewn throughout. I could have done without the old lady on the other side of the theater who felt compelled to react audibly to every scene, but even that didn't spoil the experience. Everyone who reads this blog needs to see it, and a return to the book wouldn't be a bad idea.