Sunday, December 26, 2010

Great News for Westerns

This great news was sent to me by Barry Traylor, who found it at Box Office Mojo:

Despite the muting effect of Christmas Eve, True Grit posted the top-grossing opening weekend ever for a straight-forward Western, capturing an estimated $25.6 million on around 3,900 screens at 3,047 locations. It was also the biggest launch of the Coen brothers' careers, passing Burn After Reading. With a $36.8 million tally in five days, it's already the highest-grossing Western since 3:10 to Yuma (2007), which started much lower and earned $53.6 million in total, and its five-day attendance was in line with Unforgiven's. According to distributor Paramount Pictures, 65 percent of True Grit's audience was male and 70 percent was aged 25 years and older.




Bookmark and Share

6 comments:

David Cranmer said...

That is good news.

Walker Martin said...

My wife and I saw TRUE GRIT on Christmas day at the noon showing. The theater was packed and we had trouble finding two seats together. I was surprised to see such a turnout for a western but that just shows the drawing power of Jeff Bridges and the Coen Brothers.

The greatest scene still remains when Rooster faces four guys and rides at them hell for leather, blasting away, and yelling "Fill your hands, you son of a bitch!".

hcb said...

I confess I found it irksome when the Coen brothers told Charlie Rose they weren't sure True Grit is a Western.

Charles Gramlich said...

great news. I'm so happy to hear it's done well.

Melissa Marsh said...

I watched the John Wayne version of "True Grit" on Thursday with my grandmother. First time I had ever seen it. I enjoyed it a lot.

Ron Scheer said...

That last stat is worrisome. It should be 70% under 25, since that's the demographic for big box office.