Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A Christmas Meme to Get You in the Spirit

Melissa Marsh over at Writing with Style posted this great Christmas meme. Feel free to use it on your blog, or just put your own answers in the comments to this post. Kinda fun and guaranteed to get you in the Christmas spirit.

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?

Egg Nog. I love it, especially with nutmeg. I can't have it with alcohol, but I think egg nog is good enough without it. I drink hot chocolate the rest of the winter.



2. Does Santa (meaning you) wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?

Santa wraps. Wrapping presents is one of my favorite parts of Christmas.


3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?

Colored. Please. I'm so over the white lights. I was never so thrilled when the really big colored lights came back.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?

Only when there's a chance it might come into use.

5. When do you put your decorations up?

I usually wait until about 2 weeks after Thanksgiving. I'm still a live-tree gal, so I don't like getting one any earlier, for fear it will dry out.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish?

Ham with scalloped potatoes. I guess you can have that any time, but it always tasted so good for Christmas dinner. Especially after you're burnt out on all the turkey from Thanksgiving.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child:

We used to make these really funky Christmas ornaments with some colored construction paper, Elmer's glue and glitter. Or long paper garlands - actually my sisters made those.

Another funny memory was one that I wasn't involved in personally but it's a family favorite: one Christmas my mother and my older sisters went crazy and took that white snow in a can - usually used only on windows - and sprayed Christmas greetings on the doors inside the house. Not knowing that it would ruin the paint on the doors. We had the outline of "Merry Xmas" and "Happy New Year" on our bedroom doors for years.

Another nice memory is the first year that my stepfather was part of the family. On Christmas Eve, he took me to the Southland Mall to buy presents for my mother. I was probably only 7 or 8, but I felt so special and grown up because he took me.

Another was when we lived in Frankfut, Germany when I was 10 and the first Christmas we spent over there. Going to the old part of town and shopping in all the wonderful shops was magical.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?

My sister Becky told me one evening, without consulting with my mother about it. Kinda wished my mother would have been the one, but because she was always gone and working so much, my sisters were surrogate mothers anyway.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?

Yep, if I have any to open. Sometimes I don't get any presents until I get to my family's houses, which is usually not until Christmas Eve or Christmas Day.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?

I have a motley mix of ornaments that I've collected over the years. Some are almost 35 years old, and they are my favorites. I have a lot of animal ornaments.

Another thing I'm glad to see come back into fashion is tinsel. It seemed like for a long time no one used it. But I love it.



11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?

Love it. But then I don't have to live in it.

12. Can you ice skate?

Ha. You're kidding, right?

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?

I don't remember many of them, but I know the ones that always were my favorites were the stuffed animals. Those and the plastic horses.



14. What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you?

Spending time with my family, and also trying not to turn into a Scrooge. It's tempting to do when you've been single for a long time.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?

Every year I hunt out peppermint ice cream. It's my favorite all year long, but sometimes I can only find it in the stores around Christmas time.


16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?

I'm trying to keep up a tradition of reading a Charles Dickens book every year, but there's been a few years that it hasn't happened. I'm also getting into collecting those little villages - for a long time I thought they were hokey, but now I'm really getting interested in building up a collection. I must be getting old.

I also love driving around and looking at decorated houses. This year my best friend and I started a tradition of taking the dogs for a walk around the neighborhoods that are really decked out. Lots of fun.

17. What tops your tree?
A raccoon! (Not a real one.)

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving?

I know the proper answer is to say I love giving, and I do love it. I especially love giving presents to those who really need them. But I love to receive too. Let's see....

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?

Classic: "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear"
Semi-New: "Merry Christmas Darling" by the Carpenters
New: "All I Want for Christmas" by Mariah Carey

20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum?
YUM! See my answer above about my favorite dessert.

Bookmark and Share

5 comments:

Barry Traylor said...

1. I loath Egg Nog
2. Shouldn't admit this but I enjoy wrapping gifts. Shucks my Mom even showed me how to curl the ribbon ends.
3. White. And last year I bought LED's
4. Married--don't need an excuse to kiss my wife.
5.About three weeks before.
6.Baked
Corn Supreme
7.The year I got my Lionel train set.
8. There's no Santa? Good Grief!!!
9. For some reason Christmas Eve is more magical to me. So I enjoy gift giving then.
10. I have some very special ones that have to go on. Some wax figures of Santa, Angels,Snowmen and Drum Majors. Also some WW II era glass balls that have no silvering on them.
11. Snow---I love it.
12. No
13. See my answer to #7
14. Family. My wife, my children and grandchildren
15. Can't really think of one.
16. A Christmas Carol of course
17. Tree is too tall for one this year, last year I put a stuffed moose on top (small one of course)
18. This is a tough one, but I have to say White Christmas sung by Bing Crosby if I have to choose only one.
19. Not very fond of them. Never was. Chocolate on the other hand is hard to resist.

Deka Black said...

Eg Nog... I believe is what is called here "ponche". Never drinked it.

Joanne Walpole said...

1. Hot Choc
2. Wrap
3. White
4. No need, we kiss all the time anyway
5. Varies depending on when mood kicks in
6. I have to have a favourite?
7. ??
8. Can't remember
9. Yes
10.Lights, beads, baubles, crackers, a star
11.Snow
12.Nope. Balance isn't my thing.
13.A long dress when I was about 9 years old
14.Being happy and spreading it around
15.See 6
16. Starting one this year - having sis and partner round for dinner and games on Xmas day
17.Star
18.Giving
19.Stop the Cavalry - Jona Lewie or Pipes of Peace - Paul McCartney
20. They're sugar - what's the point of this question!!

Have a good one!

Charles Gramlich said...

You had me at egg nog. Then I went and had some.

Steve M said...

1. Don't like either
2. Santa (me) wraps 'em.
3. Coloured - although purple seems to be the in-colour over here this year.
4. Nope....no need.
5. Couple of weeks before.
6. Some kinda bird, turkey comes low on the list.
7. Trying to stay awake to catch Santa delivering my gifts. Always fell asleep though...
8. What truth?
9. Nope
10. From the top down.
11. Hate it (I have to work out in it)
12. No - never tried
13. Scalextric car - wondered how Santa knew I got a Scalextric set for my birthday two weeks before.
14. Getting to have a lie in.
15. Don't have them, too full.
16. see answer 14
17. Some pointed thing, not sure what it is.
18. Both the same
19. None. Fed up of hearing the same songs year after year...tis about time someone wrote a new one. If I was pushed I'd pick Ring Out, Solstice Bells by Jethro Tull
20 Yuk - to sweet