Sunday, November 28, 2010

So Much For the Family Christmas Card

Hope everyone is enjoying the long weekend. It's been a good one here, except for the fact that it's been so cold I have now lost about 1/3 of my garden, even though I sprayed most of it with Cloud Cover. UGH. All that work last summer. I am just sick about it. This morning I'll be cutting back and digging out those that are beyond hope.

The one silver lining is the demise of a hideous Bird of Paradise plant that the owners planted in the front of the house before they moved out. I really don't like them, even though I used to live in Hawaii. I've been contemplating digging it out and moving it to the back. Anything so I wouldn't have to see it. Well, the frost took care of that. It completely collapsed overnight and now, with all of those huge leaves black and wilted, looks like rotten lettuce. I'll be digging it out now with relish.

My friend Andrea came over yesterday with her 120-lb Rottweiler, Kimbo, who is just a big black marshmallow. We tried to get our dogs to pose with us for Christmas photos, and this is the best we could do:












Bookmark and Share

13 comments:

Chris said...

Hurray for big dogs!

Joanne Walpole/Terry James said...

Lovely. :-) Can you imagine trying to get Jess to pose? Or me for that matter. ;-)

Deka Black said...

Woe, Kimbo seems a good dog. Really well educated.
How's doing Xena, by the way?

Oscar said...

Nothing like a dog picture to steal the show!

Richard Prosch said...

Those are some great photos!

Barry Traylor said...

My stepdaughter and her husband had a Rottweiler they named Brooklyn and that dog had the sweetest nature.

Cap'n Bob Napier said...

As I said on Facebook, I love that photo of you and the dogs. The Rott is a monster. Glad we only have to feed a Chihuahua, though he'd eat as much as a Rott given half a chance.

Charles Gramlich said...

I just enjoy all the wild plants rather than planting a garden. That way they'll be able to survive any freeze and I won't have to do any work.

Ron Scheer said...

I didn't know you could kill a bird of paradise! That's some cold snap.

Love the last pic of you and the dogs. It's a keeper for sure.

Laurie Powers said...

Thanks everybody for your comments.

Jo: I recall trying to take photos of Jess and they all came out blurry. :)

Deka: Xena is doing great. Full of energy and still eating well. We hope she'll be around for a while longer.

Ron: it's been freezing up here - literally. For three or four days in a row.

Richard R. said...

You think it's been cold there, and I know it has, but my gosh it has been awful here in Portland and the coldest, iciest winter in decades is forecast. The half dozen small roses I brought to try to saving into the new garden surely won't make it going nto the nearly frozen soil. Whaaa!

I'd bet that Bird of Paradise will come back in Spring unless you dig it out, and get the roots.

Cap'n Bob Napier said...

Just after midnight on the 24th, as I made my way to the hospital, it was 13 degrees. Unseasonabley frigid for this area.

Melissa Marsh said...

Awww, how cute! We used to have two big dogs, too. Nothing like being able to wrap your arms around them and feel that strong, solid chest against you. :-)