Monday, November 29, 2010

The 2nd Annual Frosty Pulp Cover Extravaganza!

Some of you have been hearing my complaining about the cold here in Southern California, but I know that there are other parts of the country that are faring a lot worse right now. With that in mind, here is the second annual Frosty Pulp Covers special, with pulp covers that will make you feel toasty wherever you are. These are all new covers, and actually most of these came from just three magazines: ADVENTURE, THE POPULAR MAGAZINE and WESTERN STORY MAGAZINE (including a rare WESTERN STORY with a totally non-Western cover). And all of these are from the 1910s and the 1920s.

ADVENTURE, March 1913

POPULAR, January 23, 1915

ADVENTURE, January 3, 1918

ADVENTURE, January 18, 1919

POPULAR, January 20, 1921

POPULAR, February 7, 1921

WESTERN STORY, January 7, 1922

POPULAR, January 20, 1922

WESTERN STORY, February 24, 1923

POPULAR, March 20, 1923

ADVENTURE, August 20, 1924

ADVENTURE, October 10, 1924
WESTERN STORY, February 6, 1926

WEST, February 20, 1927

WESTERN STORY, January 12, 1929

POPULAR, March 7, 1929





Bookmark and Share

7 comments:

Deka Black said...

And here is snowing. Nice pics to see in a time like this.

Walker Martin said...

Great grouping of covers Laurie. My favorite is the ADVENTURE for Oct 1924 showing the man at the end of his life on the ice as the sun goes down. An excellent story behind that image...

Barry Traylor said...

How fortuitous your post for today is as they are forecasting snow this weekend. I just had a thought. Are you in a high enough elevation where you now live to get snow?
I keep thinking about getting a snowblower, but I would need a third storage shed. My wife's has all the garden stuff and mine has all my Halloween props.

Barry Traylor said...

After looking them over I think my favorite is the Adventure for March 1913. The image of the Mountie and his horse is stunning. As a boy I read every story I could find about the RCMP. Also was a huge fan of Sgt. Preston on the radio.

Laurie Powers said...

There are so many good ones here, I have a hard time picking a favorite. The Feb 1921 POPULAR of the cowboy wading through the snow is one. I like Barry's pick of the Mountie one too.

Charles Gramlich said...

I enjoy reading stories about people coping with harsh elements, like London's "To Build a Fire," but I'm glad I don't have to do it myself.

Cap'n Bob Napier said...

Lots of great ones, fer shure, but the Uh-Oh moment that was so perfectly captured with the woodcutter and the bear is my favorite.