Sunday, September 26, 2010

Republic Pictures 75th Anniversary - Recap

The Republic Pictures 75th Anniversary was yesterday and it was a great time, despite the 100+ degree heat. I can say, without exaggeration, that I was able to sit in triple digit temperatures for over 6 hours and lived to tell the tale. I can now cross that off my bucket list.

I felt like a wimp because at the last minute I decided to wear my nice cool linen pants and sandals, thinking I would be cooler that way, only to find that everyone at the festival was either wearing blue jeans and boots or was in full 19th century costume. But everyone was in great humor even if they were melting underneath.

After the first couple of hours, it was apparent that turnout for the event was probably extremely affected by the heat. While we had crowds, they weren't what I expected. But the panels did very well and played to packed houses (but then, the rooms were air conditioned, too!). I was happy to see that the trick horses weren't asked to do too much in the heat.

People just seemed to take the heat in stride and everyone seemed to be having a great time. People were extremely friendly and nice, I was able to meet many new people, and I even got some interested in the good ol' blog.

Some of the folk I met were Ron Scheer over from Buddies in the Saddle - we had a great time chatting for a long while and had lunch together; C. Courtney Joyner, screenwriter, film historian and Black Horse Western novelist; musician John Bergstrom, who will be playing at Out West next Friday night; Bill Cunningham from Pulp 2.0 Press and many others.

I want to thank Bobbi Jean and Jim Bell for inviting me to sit at the OutWest table and sell copies of PULP WRITER. Like always, Bobbi looked out for me and made sure I met everyone who stepped into their booth. And that was a lot of people.

I didn't take many photos, but Ron did and he has posted them over at Buddies in the Saddle along with a great blog report, and I recommend you go over and check them out. As for me, I'm going to take the day off and get caught up after the Republic Pictures marathon on Thursday and Friday. By the way, I will be posting a Table of Contents for the series at some point today. THEN I'll take the rest of the day off.

Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

Deka Black said...

Bill Cunningham? The Mad Pulp Bastard himself? You're lucky! And glad to hear about the fun you have here. Still thinking a collection of the serials in DVD form selling at newstands and bookstores would be a great idea.

David Cranmer said...

So much fun I'm missing.

Ron Scheer said...

Laurie, I'm glad you got to see more of the events, as you report. And it was great meeting you, even though I'm not so recognizable as I assumed without my glasses.

Thanks for introducing me to Bill Cunningham, who is both a pulp dynamo and a nice guy, even while sweltering under the canopy over Bobbi and Bill's stall.

I'm wondering, too, if there would have been more of a turnout without the heat, but the indoor areas with a/c were packed. The rest of my pics go up at BITS tomorrow.