Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Evening in Santa Clarita

I am going to be spending the next few evenings trying to get caught up on all those projects that have been sneaking up on me. So my blog posts are going to be sparse for a few days.

In the meantime, here are some photos I took tonight on our walk once it cooled down. It's beautiful out here, even with all the power lines.



That tower in the photo above on the left is part of the Six Flags Magic Mountain amusement park. I'm not sure what the tower is; I'm sure it's some kind of roller coaster ride. I still haven't been there. Magic Mountain is the landmark around here and has been for the past twenty-five years, maybe even more. When people ask where Santa Clarita is, the stock answer is "where Magic Mountain is." Twenty years ago, before the city was built up and industry came in, Magic Mountain was the only place in town to work. Now that there are 200,000 people out here, the employment landscape has changed somewhat.

And here's some photos of my newest family member. Although they've been flitting around the flowers for a few weeks, it look a while before the hummingbirds came around to the feeder. This feeder is right outside the living room window and underneath the overhang and in shade, the reason why the bird's a little dark in the photo. When I went outside to try to take photos of him/her with better light, it got wise and quit coming around.






Bookmark and Share

8 comments:

Cap'n Bob Napier said...

I have two hummingbirds that appear outside the living room window whenever they feel like visiting the feeder. I get a big thrill if I see them flittering out there. I wish I could get a photo of them, but they fly off if I so much as move.

Richard R. said...

Great shots. We have hummers here too, they love the Mexican Sage and the hanging fuchsias and begonias. They also spend time at the fountain, usually in the morning or late afternoon. Like Bob, I've not had much luck taking pictures.

Deka Black said...

Aaaw,mhow cute! Hummingbirds! Since kid i love them :D They are sooocute! ^^

Barry Traylor said...

Beautiful sunset. What is your night time star view like? Or is there too much light pollution. I love when you can see the Milky Way, unfortunately here in the East Coast that is impossible any more.
Lovely Hummingbird, have you seen the ones that Jen (my DIL) has taken and placed on her blog?

Charles Gramlich said...

Great colors. Humminbirds are such neat little creatures.

Steve M said...

You could try a little fill-flash on the Hummingbird if you get another opportunity.

Oscar said...

Nice photos. Our feeder hangs outside the kitchen window and we have a hummer that sits on a convenient item on the patio and waits for another hummer to try to drink its water. He chases it off. When I hang up fresh water, he (or she)sometimes flies right up and takes a drink before I can get it on the hook.

Ron Scheer said...

The hummingbirds are plentiful in the desert and seem delighted by anything that's in bloom in the yard. Your photos are first class.

We have power lines across the back of our lot, which is good in a way. I'd have 1000 pictures of just sunsets by now.