Monday, August 23, 2010

Some Thoughts on True Grit Redux

How many of you knew that a new version of TRUE GRIT was coming out? It is, and it's a Coen Brothers production starring Jeff Bridges as Rooster Cogburn, who was immortalized by John Wayne in the original 1969 movie. The new movie is coming out this Christmas whether you like it or not.

Today, Gary Dobbs over at THE TAINTED ARCHIVE has some thoughts on the subject as well as some official photos from the new movie.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the new movie. For one thing, I love Jeff Bridges. I also trust the Coen Brothers - in my opinion they have made some stinkers, but on the whole they are truly brilliant filmmakers and most of their movies have been more than satisfactory. I consider FARGO, O BROTHER WHERE ARE THOU, and BARTON FINK some of the finest movies to appear over the last twenty years. And finally, I was thrilled by the remake of 3:10 TO YUMA and I want this trend of good western remakes to continue. I think it's good for Hollywood and vitally necessary for the western genre to survive.



Bookmark and Share

8 comments:

Walker Martin said...

Usually I'm dead set against remakes of classic movies. But as Laurie points out this version of True Grit will star Jeff Bridges and be Coen Brothers production. This means it will probably be a western of outstanding quality and one that we all should view. Knowing the Coen Brothers, I doubt they will bother with just the standard remake. I'm sure this film will be their usual excellent effort. So, I think we have an exception to the rule concerning Hollywood remakes.

Chris said...

I'm really stoked for this for several reasons.

1. No Country for Old Men was about as Western as you can get, and I loved that movie; one where I feel the Coens knocked it out of the park.

2. Besides Bridges as Rooster, we get Josh Brolin as Chaney and Matt Damon as La Bouef. Great actors there too!

3. It may be blasphemy to say so, but I didn't care for John Wayne's portrayal of Cogburn.

4. I've enjoyed all the most recent Westerns; Open Range, Appaloosa, 3:00 to Yuma, etc. I'm just stoked to see a new offering.

David Cranmer said...

I like Bridges quite a bit and will watch it when it rolls around to DVD. I'm glad a western is being made but wish it was something new.

Ron Scheer said...

I'm looking forward to this one, too. I understand it will be told from the point of view of the girl rather than Rooster and be more faithful to the original story.

I'm not big on remakes either. I'm one of those who prefers the original 3:10 TO YUMA. But with the Coens, it's always wait and see. They can pull rabbits out of hats sometimes.

Barry Traylor said...

If anyone can do a good job the Coen Bros. can do it. Also Jeff Bridges is a good choice. After all the one with John Wayne won't disappear any time soon. I like Wayne in the first one but can't say I cared all that much for Glenn Campbell. I hope they cast the Kim Darby character well.
I love the remake of "2:10 To Yuma" much better than the original.
After all that though I do wish Hollywood would give the whole reboot/remake a rest.

Barry Traylor said...

Whoops!! I must have been on Daylight Savings Time. Meant to type "3:10 To Yuma".

Charles Gramlich said...

I'll probably give it a try. I have to confess I'm not the Duke's biggest fan, but I did like him as Rooster Cogburn. But JEff Bridges is a pretty good actor.

ARCHAVIST said...

To me The Duke will always be the man, but, as you see from my own post, I am especially looking forward to this one.