Thursday, August 26, 2010

A Phone Call From the Vet

The vet called yesterday afternoon - the results of Xena's final test had come in. The tumor's malignant and it's moved into her lymph nodes. The options aren't doable at all: surgery and radiation will make her fecally incontinent. Chemo doesnt' do much except prolong her life for a certain period but it won't cure it.

The good news is that at least for now, there doesn't seem to be a lot of pain for Xena. She still looks great and, although she has slowed down considerably, she still has her perky moments. We will see as time progresses. At this point I'm going to let her go when I know it's right - before her quality of life starts to go downhill. It's a slow moving tumor and the vet says she could have even a couple of more months.

For now, I am going to spoil her rotten. We're going to take a lot of car rides so she can stick her head out the window and go to a lot of parks where she can run free and chase squirrels. We'll go to flower gardens so she can try to catch bees (I never said she wasn't weird). I'll let her chew her cow hoove bones inside the house even though they stink to high heaven. When she is ready to go, the vet says she will come to the house to put her to sleep, which is what I requested.

The universe certainly works in mysterious ways. We still don't know why she had the seizure. But if she hadn't have had it, I wouldn't have taken her to the vet, and we wouldn't have known about this tumor in her rectum. It would have progressed until it would have become an emergency. At least this way we can do this without her going through too much discomfort.

Thanks so much everyone for your concern. I'll keep you all posted.








Bookmark and Share

16 comments:

James Reasoner said...

Laurie, I'm so sorry. I wish it had been better news. Give her a hug for all of us.

David Cranmer said...

Sorry to hear this, Laurie. But I'm glad you will have some time to spoil her rotten.

Rick said...

So so sorry. Don't let her see you down.

Ron Scheer said...

Breaks my heart. Make all the last days count.

Charles Gramlich said...

I'm very very sorry.

Ed Hulse said...

I too am sorry the news wasn't better. But I couldn't agree more that spoiling her is the way to go. And believe me, you're very fortunate that the vet is willing to make a house call when the time comes. That will make a big difference.

Jack Cullers said...

Sorry it turned out this way. Beautiful pictures of a beautiful dog. Spoil her and give her a hug from us.

Barry Traylor said...

Words are such poor things many times, and this is one of those times.
I did so hope that things would work out for Xena. Having been through end of life issues with our cats I really know how you feel right now. What can I say other than crummy news indeed.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Sorry for the bad news. I am sure she will have the best remaining time possible.

Walker Martin said...

Laurie, sorry about the bad news. I think it's probably best to know the bad news ahead of time so you can prepare.

Bill Crider said...

I'm very sad for you and Xena. You're doing the right thing by making the time count.

Deka Black said...

I'm so sorry :_( You're doing right spending time with Xena. Chasing bees i believe is one thing almost all dogs do one million times in life.

And having los a dog myself, i know how yu must feel right now :(

Laurie Powers said...

Thank you so much everyone. Xena's in good spirits today - it helps that the gardener came, giving her a reason to bark like crazy.

I promise things will get back to normal here and not as sad on the Wild West, starting with the next post.

Richard R. said...

I tried to type more but I was crying. Sometimes life sucks.

Chap O'Keefe said...

Poor Xena, poor you. Yes, do make some good memories in the last days to add to those (and the gorgeous pictures) you already have.

Kristin-LandingPadLondon said...

You're a great dog mom Laurie (and not to mention a great writer)! Shed a tear when you started talking about spoiling sweet Xena. Ah bittersweet this post, full of the purest of love and the worst of news. I wish you the best my dear, hang in there. And give Xena a big squeeze for me!