Sunday, August 29, 2010

It's Time to Get Away

Nothing like a week from hell to get you in the mood to get away. So two books I received as birthday presents were the perfect medicine for me.

One is DISCOVER HISTORIC CALIFORNIA by George and Jean Roberts. This cover is the older edition. This book has 1800 entries of places you can visit all over California. The back blurb says that the book covers ghost towns, historic museums and buildings, lighthouses, pony express stops, historic towns, gold mines, ivctorian homes, restored adobes, missions, stage stops, presidios, and more. Definitely a great book to spend a lazy Sunday with, dreaming and planning my next trip. I find that local trips are some of the best to take. It's always been hard for me to get enthused about doing these in the past few years though, because it can take an eternity just to get out of the Los Angeles basin at the beginning of a trip. Now that I'm a little bit out of the center of gridlock, maybe I'll have a better chance of hitting these places.

I plan on writing about some of the entries in this book, so stay tuned.

The other book is one of the Images of America book: this one is on Lone Pine.

My friend Kristin, who gave me these two books, knows I'm looking forward to going to the Lone Pine Film Festival that runs October 6-8. I've never been there and can't wait to go. For more information on the Lone Pine Film Festival, go here.

One of our readers, Ed Hulse, is an expert on the history of Lone Pine in the movies and has written a book, LONE PINE IN THE MOVIES. He is also very familiar with the film festival, to say the least. Maybe we can talk him into doing a guest blog.



Bookmark and Share

9 comments:

Deka Black said...

The missions is a part i'm interested in since well, are part of the story of my country.Are still conserved the missions in San Francisco and Los Angeles?

Barry Traylor said...

Do they mention Hollister, CA in the guide? Site of the infamous Biker raid in 1947. Which actually never happened the way it was written up in the article that was used as basis for the Brando film "The Wild One". There was a photo in Life magazine that it turns out was posed by the photographer.

Laurie Powers said...

Deka, yes, there are. I find them interesting as well - I should visit them more often. The Mission San Francisco de Asís is the oldest building in San Francisco, founded in 1776. There are many scattered around Los Angeles as well. If you go to this web site: http://www.missionsofcalifornia.org/missions/index.html
it talks about the 21 original missions in California.

Barry, the only entry for Hollister is for the historical society museum. Although I haven't looked at it too carefully yet, I think this book probably focuses on pre-20th century.

Richard R. said...

No cat yet? Did she have a collar and tag with your new phone number? I hope!

Deka Black said...

Thanks Laurie! lately i feel the need to search the spanish tracks in USA history, you know ;)

Laurie Powers said...

Rick - no, she hasn't returned and yes, she was wearing a collar with phone number.

Cap'n Bob Napier said...

Have a good getaway. I've visited a few of the missions when I lived in sunny Cal and they're quite beautiful.

Ron Scheer said...

A place worth visiting in the Lone Pine area is Manzanar. The new museum there on the site of the Japanese American internment camp is very good. . . and I look forward to a full report of the Festival.

Richard R. said...

I've been in Lone Pine quite a few times, but only on my way to and from Mammoth. Don't think I've ever done more than gotten gas, had a bite, bought supplies there. Enjoy.

I'm glad she had the collar and tag. I'm sad and worried and hope she'll find her way back to you.