Thursday, August 26, 2010

Additions to the Wild West Collection

Here are some new additions to the Wild West collection.

This is one of the last issues that WILD WEST WEEKLY appeared in dime novel format, before Street & Smith purchased it and turned it into a pulp.

This LONE TRAIL WESTERN was printed in Australia. There is no date, but it features a reprint of "The Devil Rides a Pinto," the last Sonny Tabor story, which appeared in WILD WEST WEEKLY in 1943.

Speaking of Sonny Tabor, here is one of my new favorite covers, by J. Rozen.

Here's another new favorite cover, by H.W. Reussweig.

I'm thinking of writing some posts about some of the other WWW authors, including Lee Bond and Walker Tompkins.



I'd also like to read some of the other characters' stories. This cover story looks interesting, which features Jim Hazel, a forest ranger.

And then there is Senor Red Mask, one of the more popular WWW characters.



Bookmark and Share

6 comments:

Deka Black said...

Arg! My eyes! The Sonny Tabor cover has adhesive tape!

The dime novel cover remember me of the works of Gustave Doré, but, if i must choose one cover only, i choose Señor Red Mask. Remember me of a spanish pulp character called "El Coyote".

Cap'n Bob Napier said...

Give me a cavalry troop and a scout in buckskins and I'm happy.

Barry Traylor said...

That Feb. 24, 1934 issue appears to have been taped on the inside using the old cellophane tape. Then over time the acid in the glue caused the staining. That 1931 issue with the frorest ranger yarn sounds interesting.

Charles Gramlich said...

Great covers

Ron Scheer said...

Really enjoy seeing these covers. Each one is a gem. I notice the Oz cover says that it's "streamlined American." What could that have meant as a selling point?

Barry Traylor said...

On a John Wayne western kick this weekend. Watching "Tall In The Saddle" from 1944 with The Duke, Gabby Hayes, Ward Bond and the lovely Ella Raines. What a fun movie this is and I am pretty sure I saw it when I was a kid. We had a neighborhood theater that mainly seemed to run Oaters from the 30's and the 40's.