Saturday, August 28, 2010

1909 Russia - Captured in Color

Thanks to Barry Traylor for this tip. These color photos of Russia from 100 years ago are amazing!

The description from Boston.com:

Taken between 1909 and 1912... "photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863-1944) undertook a photographic survey of the Russian Empire with the support of Tsar Nicholas II. He used a specialized camera to capture three black and white images in fairly quick succession, using red, green and blue filters, allowing them to later be recombined and projected with filtered lanterns to show near true color images. The high quality of the images, combined with the bright colors, make it difficult for viewers to believe that they are looking 100 years back in time - when these photographs were taken, neither the Russian Revolution nor World War I had yet begun. Collected here are a few of the hundreds of color images made available by the Library of Congress, which purchased the original glass plates back in 1948."

Bookmark and Share

7 comments:

Rick said...

These are fantastic! I have a couple of friends I really need to send this link to. Thanks.

Ron Scheer said...

These are breathtaking. The clarity, depth, and vividness were a complete surprise. This is the Russia as Tolstoy saw it the year he died (1910). How I'd love to see pics like this of the Old West.

Charles Gramlich said...

I'll check it out.

Deka Black said...

WOW. A-ma-zing. Only a-ma-zing.

Cap'n Bob Napier said...

Sometimes we forget what people could accomplish before the days of high tech.

Laurie Powers said...

I agree Rick.

Ron, I thought of Tolstoy too. Ironic that it was just before the Revolution. I'd like to see some of these from the West too.

Bob, I know that there are a lot more color photos around than we realize. A few months ago I put up a post of color photos from the Depression. I'll try to find it again.

Lana Gramlich said...

Yes, truly amazing...