Monday, June 28, 2010

Xena the Bear

Xena got a bath today.

She HATES getting baths and spends the entire time trying to get out of the bathtub. I hate it too, because it's a backbreaking job bathing a 90-lb black and tan bear.

But when it's over she is SO happy. She races around the yard...





Then she harasses poor Annie who is just trying to retrieve her ball...



Then when she's done with that, she stops and takes a breath...

...and then, to show how little respect she has for my hard work, performs the coup de grace.









If you recall, I had to take Her Highness to the vet a few weeks ago. I was worried thinking that the degenerative spine disease she'd been diagnosed with a few years ago had flared up again. Come to find out she had a urinary tract infection. I had xrays of her back and hips taken anyway, and she's in perfect shape. No sign of a degeneration or arthritis. For a nine-year-old German Shepherd, she's in fantastic shape. And now, after 2 weeks of antibiotics, she's feeling better - obviously. She's happy and so am I.

11 comments:

Walker Martin said...

It's funny how every dog is different even as far as taking a bath. The last dog I had would know when it was bath time and run away from us. Then she would stand stiff as a board, shivering, while we soaped and cleaned her. But when we put the towel on her to dry her off, she would happily start shaking the water off and running around glad it was over.

Deka Black said...

XDD My dog (sadly, passed away some years ago due to a stomach cancer. And almost blind, She was very old for a dog) each time we had to bath her done the same thing.

But in my case, i bribed her with a bit of ham. I believe all dogs done thesame once the bath is over:

"You gonna see what i think of your bath skills, human, bwahaha, i`m cute,,adorable and evil!"

Good to know she's well ;)

Barry Traylor said...

One of the things in life that make me smile is the sight of a happy dog. My neighbor's dog "Benson" always greets me with this weird doggie grin where he sort of bares his front teeth at me, then runs away (coming back of course to see where I am).

Ron Scheer said...

Glad to know Xena is OK. My aging minpin has lost her hearing, and is on heart meds. She sleeps a lot because she doesn't hear all those inaudible sounds that used to wake her up. But she gets in just as much barking anyway - the prickly pear in the front yard alarms her in particular. Her philosophy is "I bark, therefore I am."

David Cranmer said...

She's looking good!

Richard R. said...

Great story and photos, Laurie!

Chap O'Keefe said...

Excellent pictures and excellent news on the health front!

Travis Erwin said...

Nothing like a good roll in the grass after a bath.

Laurie Powers said...

Thanks everybody. I think Xena would be thrilled to know she has so many fans.

Walker, it doesn't matter how many times you do it, it's like they never will surrender - they fight it all the way to the end.

Deka, I'm sorry about your dog - that must have been awful. May she rest in peace.

Barry - yes, and it's especially nice to see Xena happy - she's not normally an exuberant dog.

Ron, I hope your minpin is around for many more years to come. Funny how they still bark even when they can't hear themselves.

Deka Black said...

Thanks Laurie, she does, i'm sure.

Cap'n Bob Napier said...

Lovely dog. I love shepherds. We only have a Chihuahua to bathe, but I don't do it so its lack of size isn't an issue for me.