Monday, June 21, 2010

Laurie's Personal West: is Posted at Meridian Bridge

For today's reading, I invite you to go over to Meridian Bridge and check out my contribution to the My Personal West series that Rich is running. It's a fantastic series and I'm proud to be part of it.

The essay that I chose was originally going to be part of my Prologue that I wrote for PULP WRITER. Unfortunately, I ended up cutting it, but only because of space constraints. The Prologue is long enough as it is. But I've always been fond of this piece and I'm glad I was able to resurrect it. I've updated it somewhat, but the skeleton is the same.

I hope you all enjoy it.

4 comments:

Barry Traylor said...

That was an excellent read Laurie, thanks for sharing it with us. I really felt I was with you on the drive through the desert. A shame that Tombstone is like that. One of my favorite historical places is Williamsburg as once you enter the historical Williamsburg everthing there is like the 18th century. The last time my wife and were there we dined in one of the old taverns and as we were leaving the tavern it was dusk and the tourists had mainly left and we pretty much had the town to ourselves. Quite magical as it was very easy for me to think I had gone back in time. A wonderful memory.

Ron Scheer said...

Very nicely told. So well written that it reads like a journey of self discovery as well as one in search of your grandfather. Incorporating his own trip back to Kansas at the time he was in Bisbee and his self doubt folds in a sad irony.

Richard R. said...

I can't see you living in Brisbee, but that was then, would you still want to live there? Seems too closed in to me. Williams would be a better choice, perhaps. I lived in Tucson for a few years, and at the time - late 1960s - it was a great place to live. The last time I was back, it had changed and didn't seem so desirable a city in which to reside. That happens.

Laurie Powers said...

Thanks all. I hear that Williamsburg is like that, Barry. I must go someday. Ron, thanks so much - yes I was attempting to write about self discovery as well so I'm glad you picked it up. Richard, I can see myself living in a lot of places, Bisbee being one of them. Who knows what will happen in the next 5-10 years.