Thursday, May 27, 2010

Pulp Writer is Going to Get a Makeover

No, not my grandfather. That would be a mean feat at this point, considering he's been dead since 1971. And cremated. (Sorry, Grandpa.)

It's the Pulp Writer web site that's going to be redone. I've been having fits over it: it gets very little traffic and has been stagnant for a very long time. The trouble is that I've had a webmaster in charge of updating the site, and if I sent every update, every new review, and every change in the links page to her, I'd be broke. And if I wanted to do it myself, I'd have to do all these complicated software-speak things like download FTPs and learn HTML and it just makes me tired thinking about it.

But my webmaster just contacted me and told me that we can switch the site over to what's called a Content Management site and afterwards I would have complete control over the site. Which means I can add pages, get the site connected to all of the other pulp web sites and forums out there, announce when new stories are posted online, and advertise the new collection of Paul Powers stories that will be coming out. And sell books.

Oh, I've got a lot of grand ideas. This is gonna be fun.

I'll keep you all posted. And if you have any ideas on what would make a pulp fiction web site really boss, put it in the comments.

4 comments:

Chap O'Keefe said...

This sounds like a wise move, Laurie. I know from experience that learning about HTML, uploading, and as much of the rest of the tech stuff as I can accommodate, is extremely time-consuming and not particularly interesting in itself. Even a basic site can throw surprises.

Very disconcerting is lack of uniformity. Different browsers show your visitors the same page different ways, with pictures slipped into new positions, type styles and spacing altered, etc. I check using Firefox, Microsoft Explorer and Netscape and usually have to make adjustments for at least one (most often Explorer) without affecting the others. I haven't even begun to consider the selling books side that you mention.

Preparing books for POD publication is similarly onerous, unless you have pockets deep enough to pay "professionals" to do it for you. Then, of course, you would probably have the problem of needing to compromise between what you want to do and what they think you should do. The process starts to smack, too, of vanity publishing, especially if the unit cost ends up too high to achieve a workable level of sales.

Sadly, I suspect too many writers are allowing themselves to become bogged down in the brave new digital world. E-books are just another headache for us at the moment. Gary has just run a post at the Tainted Archive where eBay sellers are told how they can make money by copying e-books on to CDs and auctioning them that way to get around eBay rules. Life is not easy and won't be getting easier any time soon.

Evan Lewis said...

Cool news. Bring it on!

Laurie Powers said...

All good info, Keith. Thanks for your always informative feedback.

Dave, you sound like George W. But thanks anyway.

Barry Traylor said...

I had to learn something about FTP a few years before I retired from printing and the main thing I seem to remember is the headaches I would come home with.