Monday, May 24, 2010

Paul Powers Story to be Posted On A Twist of Noir

Received some very exciting news today: another one of my grandfather's stories will be posted on A Twist of Noir this Friday. This story, "Wine Without Music" actually shows my father, John Powers, as a co-writer, which makes sense because the story has a young doctor as a character and my father was a med student at the time the story was written. This photo, taken around 1953, would have been around that time.

From left to right: My father John, Mary (Paul's wife), Paul, my sister Becky in the highchair, sister Linda (with glasses), sister Patty, and my mother Ruth.

I've actually had this story for many years. It was found in my grandfather's personal papers when we first went through them in 1999. But once I read it, I didn't quite know what to do with it. It's not that it's not good - in fact, it's a stunning piece - but it's just...different. Once you read it, you'll know what I'm talking about. When I decided recently to start parceling out some of my grandfather's stories in anticipation of publishing a collection in the near future, it dawned on me that one of the fine web sites that are now publishing noir fiction would be a good idea. A Twist of Noir is the perfect place, because it has an excellent reputation and is also well known by many of you.

I'm especially proud of this piece because I'm sure it took a lot of guts to write, and also because of my father's contribution. Although he was a doctor, he inherited the talent for writing, if his letters are any indication.

I'll put up a link once it's posted.

8 comments:

Pete Miller said...

I've just discovered your blog and look forward to reading this story. I also live in LA and was wondering if you have found any shops here that sell vintage pulps.

Thanks,

Pete

Deka Black said...

Well, Laurie, i'll (is well written?) look forward to read the story. But, if don't matter... why you not appear in the photo?

David Cranmer said...

Very, very cool.

Paul D. Brazill said...

Looking forward to it.

Barry Traylor said...

I'll be looking forward to reading it on Friday.
Also want to say welcome (even though this may not be the place to say so as this is Laurie's blog not mine) to Pete Miller. Always nice to find another pulp fan. It has been my contention (along with Jack Cullers, Mike Chomko and Ed Hulse) that there are more pulp fans out there than we know about.

Laurie Powers said...

yes, welcome Pete. So far the only place that I know of is a used book store in Long Beach, Once Read Books, which is in a shopping area on the corner of Carson and Bellflower. Although they only have a few now - I keep buying them. If anyone else knows of any stores, by all means please let us know.

Deka, ha ha - I wasn't born yet. (For the first time in a long while I feel young). by the way, yes, "I'll look forward" is perfect English.

Thanks again, David. Your feedback and support like always was invaluable in getting this done.

Thanks, Paul! I'll be honored to be amongst such luminary authors as yourself!

Barry, yes, they are out there - an untapped reservoir of pulp enthusiasts out there in the wilderness. Excuse the mixed metaphors.

Richard Prosch said...

Really looking forward to it!!

Deka Black said...

^^ Glad you feel young. By the way, your father looks a lot like your grandfather. I mean, much more than usual between father and son! is amazing