Saturday, March 27, 2010

Movies in the Santa Clarita Valley is Back in the Saddle

I'm getting warmed up to resurrect the Movies in the Santa Clarita Valley series. To get us all in the mood, here's a clip from Riders of Destiny (1933), a movie starring John Wayne and Gabby Hayes and produced and directed by Robert Bradbury. John Wayne will even "sing" for you in this 4-minute clip, but it's dubbed.



This movie was shot at the Andy Jauregui Ranch, which is now part of the Disney Corporation and is located in the Placerita Canyon. I found this information from the Gabby Hayes' website, which also has photos of the area posted.

For a list of other movies shot at the Andy Jauregui Ranch, go to this imdb list.



For a list of previous posts on Movies in the Santa Clarita Valley, look for the series Table of Contents on the right. You may need to scroll down a little - it's under the "Labels" sidebar.

7 comments:

Barry Traylor said...

I am not quite sure why but I loved Gabby when I was a kid. If think about it may be because Gabby would have been a terrific Uncle or Grandfather for a onely little kid.

Evan Lewis said...

Hoo-rah for Movies in the Santa Clarita Valley.

Cap'n Bob Napier said...

Makes me want to saddle up and ride for days.

David Cranmer said...

I enjoy these old flicks.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I adored Gabby when I was a kid, too. What was it about him?

Ed Hulse said...

At the risk of being pedantic, I'd just like to clarify something: although most of the exteriors for RIDERS OF DESTINY were indeed filmed in the Santa Clarita Valley on or around the Juaregui ranch, the scene of John Wayne singing on horseback was actually filmed in the Palmdale/Lancaster area, which is in Antelope Valley at the western tip of the Mojave Desert.

God, I'm such a locations geek....

Laurie Powers said...

Wow, it seems like Gabby hit a nerve here. More than John Wayne. Gives me something to write about.

Ed, I don't think that's nerdy at all. In fact I appreciate the correction and I find all this fascinating too. If I didn't I wouldn't be writing about it. If that makes me a nerd too, so be it.