Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Mom, Why Are We Having Hamburger Heaven Today? Because I Said So.

Another busy day in the Powers household. To hold you over until the next post of any substance, here are some recommendations.

Just Because:

International Society of Super-Villains, in particular, this post on the "11 Lamest Supervillains in History." Thanks to Paul Brazill for the tip.

Friends of the 40s: just because it's (almost) everything I love in one site. It's UK-based.

Writers on the Web:

Rich Prosch's Meridian Bridge has interviewed Matthew Mayo and the first part is here.

Western Fiction Review has an interview with author Robert Vaughan.

Pulp News:

Dave (Evan) Lewis has posted a complete Spicy Detective Story by Norvell Page

PulpFest website has announced that Robert Randisi will be attending this year's PulpFest.

London:

London Daily Photo is just that: one photo a day taken in London, about London, with a quick summary. Great topics. There's also a sidebar that provides you with other cities that have Daily Photo sites.

Book Discoveries (at least for me. You may already know about them):


Edward Rutherfurd. Edward Rutherfurd is a pen name for Francis Edward Wintle [1] (born 1948 in Salisbury, England) known primarily as a writer of epic historical novels. His debut novel Sarum set the pattern for his work with a ten-thousand year storyline. Here is his Amazon author page. His Novel New York: The Novel, won the Langum Prize for American Historical Fiction in 2010. I've ordered his novel London from amazon.

Nancy Huston: There's a funny story behind learning about Huston, a Canadian author. A few weeks ago my friend Gustavo recommended Huston as an author. Gustavo, who's from Argentina, is in the process of perfecting his English. However, some things still get lost in translation. He recommended a book by Huston that had the word "marcas" (mark) in it. I, in my haste, looked at Huston's amazon page and found her book The Mark of the Angel and bought it. A few days later, Gustavo asked how I was liking the book and how far I was. After a bit of confusion (this happens frequently), we discovered that the book Gustavo had read was Huston's Birthmarks (which, from what I can gather, has not been published in English yet.)


I loved The Mark of the Angel, even though it is essentially a tragedy (it's centered around characters that are survivors of World War II, from both sides of the war) and many times I felt as if my heart had been dumped in a ditch. Huston has been published extensively in Europe and Canada, and is fluent in both English and French. But The Mark of the Angel, first published in 1999, was her first U.S. publication. I really don't know how well known she is in the U.S. now - maybe some of you know. Apparently her first English-language novel was The Goldberg Variations.

5 comments:

Richard Prosch said...

Thanks for the link, Laurie. Matt's a swell guy to visit with.

Rick said...

"New York" is already on my must read list. Let us know how you like it.

arlee bird said...

NEW YORK is already on my bookshelf--now I need to take the time to read it. The blurb really attracted me and I'm anxious to read the book.

Laurie Powers said...

I think I'll be reading his novel London before New York, but I'll put up a review.

David said...

Thank you for mentioning our Prize. We encourage you to check out our past winners on our website, langumtrust.org.

THE LANGUM CHARITABLE TRUST