Wednesday, March 24, 2010

"Ghost Ranch:" For Those that Love Photography of the West

For those of you who love American West photography, this book may be the fix you need.

Craig Varjabedian is a photographer who has chronicled the American West for a long time, and his latest work, Ghost Ranch and the Faraway Nearby, is being recognized as a fine work. It was recently picked by the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum as the Outstanding Photography Book of 2009, and an exhibit of some of Varjabedian's photos are touring the nation. It was recently at the Albuquerque Museum of Art. If I hear of any future exhibits, I'll let you know.

His work brings to mind Ansel Adams. I've seen so many photos of Adams' Yosemite work that I cannot stand to look at them anymore. Yosemite overload: unfortunate but there it is. But Adams' "other" American West photography, namely of New Mexico, are some of my favorites. Varjabedian's work reminds me of that other, lesser known Adams.

In the meantime, go to NPR for a article and a slide show called "Ghosts, Dudes and Ranches" of Varjabedian's photos.

3 comments:

David Cranmer said...

My wife and I love these kind of photos. Heading to your link now...

Richard R said...

I suppose we all have been so exposed to Ansel Adams' work that any book of black and white landscape images makes us immediately think of him. You're right, we've been over-exposed. I worked in an office building which had four large Adams prints, framed, on the wall opposite the elevators on each floor. At first I enjoyed seeing them, but in time I got very tired of them. Galen Rowell did some wonderful B&W photography that is often assumed to be Adams work as well.

This looks to be a wonderful book. Thanks!

Chris said...

I love this kind of stuff. Awesome.