Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Job Hunting Hamburger Heaven

No, I'm still employed, but I won't be for long if I don't stop blogging. So this is a rushed post.

I'm feverishly trying to finish the review on PULPWOOD DAYS, but in the meantime, Ive found a few good sites to follow. This one, a western online series called Western X I found via the Tainted Archive via Bobby Nash. (There.You can't say I don't give proper credit!) This looks so fantastic and as soon as I get out from under this tractor-trailer load of work today I'm going to look at this.

A Web site for writers and editors: this one came via my California Writer's Club group. This one is owned by the National Association of Independent Writers and Editors. Their acronym is NAIWE - just think 'naive' but with a W. Which is what some of us are when we think we can make money as writers, right? This might be a good site for those freelancers of you out there. Instead of selling your furniture or your pulp collection in these tough times, maybe this place can help with the job hunting. I don't know if they have a job board, but if anything it sounds like it might be a good place to start. They also had this cool Self-Publishing Checklist on their site.

I also joined this club on Facebook: The Editorial Freelancer's Association. Here's their web site. Don't know nothin' about them except they are savvy enough to get on Facebook.

Personally, I've always gone to Mediabistro.com for jobs in the publishing world. Don't know if any of you know of this one. If any of you have any tips on where to look for work as freelance contract writers or editors, technical or otherwise, why don't you pass them on here in the comments section for those of us who are looking for gigs. I'm sure it would be much appreciated.

3 comments:

Melissa Marsh said...

Mediabistro is a great place to look. Publisher's Lunch (from www.publishersmarketplace.com) always lists jobs every day in their newsletter, too.

Chap O'Keefe said...

The Self-Publishing Checklist was, I felt, a bit "perfect world", like so much that is cool.

For a work of fiction these days, the professional copy editor and proofreader will cost much more than the money you may or may not make on a few hundred copies.

But NAIWE are dead right. Checking your own work is not easy. You do tend to see what you intended to put there rather than what is.

On the other hand, I often see errors slipping through in products from the best and biggest of publishing houses.

I also know of a couple of typos -- a double "was" and a missing apostrophe and "s" -- in my own Liberty and a Law Badge, but I don't believe much has been lost by skipping the stage and expense of third-party, pro checking.

Back in 1992, when I sent a second western (Shootout at Hellyer's Creek) to Hale, the publisher told me, "Because the novel is so well presented I believe copy-editing would be a formality so we will send the typescript straight to the setter. In this connection we did copy-edit Gunsmoke Night although there were virtually no changes to be made."

Later on, I persuaded Hale to accept disks for his typesetter, which he was very reluctant to do. In the event, it cut down hugely on the number of errors introduced in typesetting, which presumably was done by professionals. Several books on (The Sandhills Shootings), Hale's production director said, "Previous disks have worked very successfully and I expect the latest to do likewise."

The choices for self-publishers are not simple and the ideal can be prohibitively expensive.

Laurie said...

Thanks for the tip on publishersmarketplace, Melissa. I'm going to check that out.

Keith, your points on the cost of self-publishing are one of the reasons I'm hesitant in getting my grandfather's collection self-published, although I think I'd have a lot more freedom and control if I did. But the cost is prohibitive. thanks for all the info.