Saturday, January 23, 2010

Happy Ending Hamburger Heaven

I'm off to "the city" today for a meeting with my college alumnae club. Today one of my favorite professors from school, Randy Bartlett, is visiting and is going to talk about the "Crash of '08". Randy is a super guy - I took one of his public policy classes - and has a great sense of humor. He is also a very popular professor who was voted Teacher of the Year at least once.

So I'm off the blogsophere for at least most of today. I'm really glad that the skies are blue with no rain forecasted for at least the weekend.

In the meantime, here are some updates.

It looks like my fireman hero who now has a name, Joe St. Georges, made the front page of the L.A. Times:

Some people criticized the rescue, saying it was a "waste of city resources." The article mentions Joe's press conference afterwards in which he made a very good point: because it was such a high-profile event - everyone in the world was watching, including TV news helicopters who were telecasting the event live - the fire department feared that a well-meaning amateur rescuer would jump in the water and save the dog. Then the fire department would have had to rescue not only the dog, but one or more humans.

Personally, I can't believe people would criticize this rescue. It doesn't say much for the human race, in my opinion, if we decide that other creatures on the planet don't deserve the same treatment as humans in time of need. But don't get me started. I don't want to be late for my meeting today.

Anyway, both dog and fire fighter are doing fine. Last time I checked, the dog who has been nicknamed "Lucky" or "Vernon" for the name of the Vernon Street Bridge, is in a rescue hospital in Long Beach. Of course, many people have stepped up and volunteered to adopt Lucky. But like the television reporter said yesterday, there are plenty of other animals at the shelters that have been rescued, in rain or shine, that need our assistance as well.

For those of you in California, here is a directory of animal shelters. I'm sure if you google "animal shelter, directory" and the name of your state, you'll come up with a list.

I'll be reviewing PULPWOOD DAYS in the next few days, John Locke's great collection of articles pertaining to the pulp magazine editors. I have learned so much from this book as far as the lives of these editors and the pulp magazine industry. But also, much of what these editors have to say still rings true for writes nowadays. So stay tuned for that.

I've also decided to review some of the books in my pulp history library, such as John Dinan's THE PULP WESTERN, and PULPWOOD EDITOR, the memoir penned by that famous editor Harold Hershey, and THE WEIRD TALES STORY by Robert Weinberg. Some of you are already familiar with these books but others, especially those new to collecting or studying pulp fiction, may not even know these books exist. Plus it will be fun for me to go back and review these.

Anyway, that's it for now. Here's a pic of the San Gabriel mountains behind La Canada. Have a great weekend, everyone!

2 comments:

Walker Martin said...

I'm glad to see that you will be reviewing some of the pulp history books. John Locke has published many excellent pulp reprint collections.
The PULP WESTERN remains one of the very few books on the genre and Harold Hersey's PULPWOOD EDITOR is full of inside information on the pulp publishing business. And Robert Weinberg's WEIRD TALES STORY remains just about the best book on WT. Keep them coming Laurie...

Chris said...

Wow, love that mountains picture!