Thursday, December 24, 2009

Pre-Road Trip Hamburger Heaven and Some Blue Book Covers

My blog will be dark for the next couple of days, but who knows - maybe I'll do a post here and there. But in the meantime I have one last Christmas post for you - some Christmas covers from Blue Book. Does anyone know if in these later years Blue Book was primarily a fiction magazine?

I'll be on the road in a few hours for the 5-6 hour trip to northern California. It sounds ghastly, but I've been doing it for so many years now - 20 years plus, that I don't even think about it that much any more. And if you are wondering why I don't fly, it doesn't make sense to do it. None of my relatives live near an airport. So if I decided to fly, I'd have to get to the airport 2 hours ahead of time, take the flight, have someone pick me up or go rent a car, and drive to the east bay which would take an hour. It all adds up to five hours.

Besides, I rented from the library some books on CD. One of which are a collection of Sherlock Holmes' short stories. That'll be fun to listen to.

Anyway, here are the Blue Book covers. Merry Christmas everyone!

1945

1948

1949

1950

1951

1952

1953



MERRY CHRISTMAS.

10 comments:

Barry Traylor said...

Without digging my copies out of the vault (as it were) I can't be 100% certain but I have the issues from 1951 with Robert A. Heinlein's "Planets In Combat". This was published as "Between Planets" by Scribners as part of the series of excellent juvenile SF novels. So if memory serves in 1951 is was still primarily fiction. I will check after the Christmas rush to satisfy my own curiosity.

Walker Martin said...

As Barry mentions, Blue Book was still a fiction magazine in the 1950's but with more and more articles mixed in. Even in 1961 I see several stories in each issue. But somewhere in the 60's it changed to just about completely non-fiction like the other men's adventure magazines.

Of course the word "non-fiction" is subjective with men's adventure. The stories often were really fiction stories disguised as fact. World War II, jungle, true crime, and sex "articles" were especially popular.

Charles Gramlich said...

I especially like that second cover. Such a great feel to it.

Evan Lewis said...

Holmes and Watson should make good traveling companions.

Barry Traylor said...

On reflection I think my favorite Christmas cover is the 1951. I like the Colonial theme. Not too accurate historically as the former colonies considered it too "English" and in the New England states you could go to jail for celebrating Christmas.
Still in all a lovely cover.

Matthew P. Mayo said...

Have a great Christmas, Laurie!

Cheers,
Matt

Cap'n Bob Napier said...

Merry Xmas, Laurie, and thanks for the great blog.

Laurie said...

Merry Christmas to all of you. Thanks for your support this year.

Lana Gramlich said...

Happy holidays & have a great trip! My best to you & yours for 2010!

Laurie said...

Thank you Lana. Glad you're feeling better. Let's have a toast to 2009 ending and a new beginning in 2010!