Monday, December 28, 2009

My Favorite Wild West Weekly Covers (So Far)

Procrastination is a terrible thing. Well, at least it is for me. Right now I'm feeling overwhelmed by an avalanche of work, so I've decided to avoid all of it by creating yet another post featuring WILD WEST WEEKLY covers. But on the other hand, all of you benefit from this. I feel much better knowing that.

Here are my favorite WILD WEST WEEKLY covers. Some are for sentimental reasons, others just because I like the covers. Some of these you've seen on Wild West before, but others you haven't.

March 10, 1928. Only because it's the earliest cover I have, and I love the purple. No artist is credited, but I'm almost certain it's a Remington Schuyler.

December 7, 1929. This cover ended up being the cover on the KID WOLF OF TEXAS: A WESTERN STORY book. Artist: Remington Schuyler

May 17, 1930. One of my favorite Remington Schuyler covers.

August 8, 1931. I just love the horses. Artist: J. Rozen.

January 23, 1932. This has got to be my favorite Kid Wolf cover. There's not a whole lot going on, but Blizzard is so majestic and this looks to me like the real Kid Wolf. When I give presentations, this is one of the first covers I show in the Power Point presentation, and it always takes your breath away. Artist: H.W. Scott.

June 9, 1934. Hands down my favorite Sonny Tabor cover. Artist: none other than Walter Baumhofer. No wonder I like it.

May 29, 1937. Because it has my grandfather's real name on the cover, not a pseudonym. It's an exciting cover, very pulpy and very well done. Artist: H.W. Scott

November 12, 1938. 1938 and 1939 were bumper crops of really good covers, thanks to the likes of Norman Saunders and H.W. Scott. This one by Saunders is a dandy, and as some of you know by now, the original painting is part of Meatloaf's collection. He's got good taste.

December 10, 1938. Another Norman Saunders masterpiece. This one gets more compliments than any other cover when I post it.

December 24, 1938. The Christmas cover from that year, I bet this issue was very hard to resist on the newsstand. Artist: H.W. Scott

March 18, 1939. This is the only WILD WEST WEEKLY cover in PULP CULTURE, Frank Robinson's and Lawrence Davidson's award-winning book that's a tribute to the great pulp covers. Artist: H. W. Scott

June 15, 1940. Artistically, I like this one because it portrays a realistic cowboy, someone who could have been in a 1950s or 1960s television show. Sentimentally, I like it because it has a story by Grandpa's pal Chuck Martin featured on the cover. Artist: Robert Stanley

December 7, 1940. A mature Sonny Tabor and a exciting portrayal of Paint, and I love the lettering. Wild West Weekly all grown up. Artist: Leslie Ross.

January 24 1942. From 1941 to 1943, the pickings get pretty slim when it comes to quality covers. Many covers were reprints from earlier years. On this one, I'll admit the art work is pretty terrible, but it features one of my grandfather's lesser-known heroes: The Fightin Three of the Rockin T. Artist: uncredited.


November 1943. This one is picked for bittersweet reasons. Two of my grandfathers stories are featured in this issue, but it's also the last issue. Artist is uncredited on the Table of Contents page, but the signature reads "H. Parkhurst."



All right, I guess I can't avoid the work anymore. But wait! There's this really important television special on tonight about Louisa May Alcott. Did you know that she was a pulp writer too? Required viewing, I think.

10 comments:

Barry Traylor said...

The logo on the March 10, 1928 issue looks very primitive. Almost like one from a Dime Novel.

JerThom said...

That was a heck of a spread. Even in a pinch you do a professional output. Good job Laurie.

ARCHAVIST said...

The 1938 one is my favourite. But only because I've got a copy thanks to a generous lady.

Charles Gramlich said...

Great covers. I like best the one with the gunman back to back, and the one where the guy is framed by the pistols.

Laurie said...

You're right Barry. They must have thrown that logo together when they first launched WWW under Street & Smith.

Thanks, Jerry, and I look forward to your guest blog.

Archavist: not only am I generous but I have good taste - in pulps and in friends.

Charles: Those are both Norman Saunders covers. If you want to see more of his, go to http://www.normansaunders.com/ - an abundance of beautiful covers.

jack irwin said...

I typed in a long comment then found that I needed a google account which I did not have. When I went back to the comment it was gone.

Rick said...

Aw man ... these are great! Thank you!

Richard Prosch said...

What surprises me most about these early covers is how very colorful they are. Maybe because of movies, I don't associate color with the '20s and '30s. Really beautiful work.

Evan Lewis said...

All great choices. Of course, it's hard to go wrong. I'd add that one from Feb 14, 1931, "Kid Wolf at Mystery Ranch". The Gary Cooper nose and shadow work make it a real standout.

Laurie said...

Jack, google can be weird when it comes to getting a google account. You're not the first who's had problems.

Glad you enjoyed them, Rick.

Rich, I think the philosophy was the more colorful the better. Anything to make the cover stand out on the newsstand.

Dave, that cover's a good one too - Kid looks like a matinee idol with that 1920s hair.