Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Hump Day Hamburger Heaven: Great Review Sites, Story With No Name and an Update on the Manuscripts

Like Chandler in Friends used to say: Could that title be any longer??

Reviews, reviews, and more reviews are the name of that game this week. Here's some blogs I recommend for reviews of all types, and some other stuff. These bloggers are on fire this week.

Before I get into them, a short note to remind you that The Story With No Name, Part 22 will be featured on Ian Parnham's blog on Wednesday. He's also got Parts 1-21 there as well, so it's one of those rare weeks when you won't have to navigate the world to read the entire story.

Film: Scott Parker's blog has the best review of the current Sherlock Holmes movie I've seen yet. Plus he wrote some really remarkable reviews a few weeks ago on some of the Sherlock Holmes stories.

Western: Western Fiction Review is Steve Myall's fantastic spot for regular reviews of Westerns. This week he's got a review of RYDER OF THE HILLS by Robert Horton, which has just been released by Leisure Books and originally ran in several issues of WESTERN STORY MAGAZINE, and he even posted copies of the covers of those issues.

Pulp: Ron Fortier's Pulp Fiction Reviews is a new one for me, but I have a feeling that a lot of you know about it already. So excuse me for my tardiness in learning about this great site. Ron reviews all types of pulp: classics and modern. This week he reviews Hard Case Crime's recent release of THE VALLEY OF FEAR by Arthur Conan Doyle.

Writing: Sandra Seaman's My Little Corner is a mind boggling resource for writers. Just check out her links for writer's markets on the left side of her blog. Thanks for the tip, Paul Brazill.

Girly girl: Mary Corbet's Needle N Thread blog is an invaluable source for those of us who are still all thumbs, complete with a link showing you how-to videos on stitches. I love how she summarizes her blog posts and then gives you a link to the complete post if you want to read it. Makes for easy navigation to the sites you really want to read.

All Things Not Related: Bill Crider's Pop Culture Magazine is like Mary Corbet's style as well in that he gives you headlines and you click on them if you so wish. Except Bill's has the funniest, most outlandish current event stories out there. Every week I'm posting a comment on his blog that pretty much asks, "Bill, where do you get these stories???"

And one final note, an update from me. So far I've read about 8 of my grandfather's unpublished manuscripts that I told you about a while back, and I am very encouraged. While a few were less than thrilling, out of those 8 I have found 3 or 4 that I feel are really good. It seems that he couldn't wait to stop writing the formula fiction for Wild West Weekly and start having some fun with his writing again - and it shows.

8 comments:

Chris said...

Hey Laurie, just interested...what did you find lacking in some of the manuscripts (as opposed to the other ones you dug)?

Laurie said...

What comes to mind is that there wasn't an element of surprise. I may pass them by other people though...it may be just me. Good to see you, Chris!

David Cranmer said...

Lots of great links here and I am glad to hear there be gems in those manuscripts.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Have the happiest of New Years!

Laurie said...

Same to you Patti. I'm glad we've become acquainted this year.

Chris said...

Good to be back, Laurie! Did you notice my new pic? Yep, that's a Giants hat. I expect we'll be renewing our "rivalry" coming up in a few months? (:

Laurie said...

I'll be going to a lot of games this year - a friend just purchased a package - but I don't have a good feeling about the Dodgers this year.

marosia said...

It will be great to watch West Side Story, i have bought tickets from
http://ticketfront.com/event/West_Side_Story-tickets looking forward to it.