Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Pioneer Woman

Found a fantastic blog today featured in the L.A. Times this morning. The Pioneer Woman, which gets 13 million hits a month, is run by Ree Drummond, who calls herself an accidental country girl and an accidental cook. Now she has combined cooking, unbelievable photography and great stories into a fantastic blog. Now she's got a cookbook coming out in October that is No. 1 on Amazon's preorder list in the cooking category.

Ree grew up in Oklahoma but transported herself to Los Angeles as soon as she could get out of the house. She went to USC, tried all sorts of food, including thai, sushi and Mexican - basically she became citified. After graduating with a major in gerontology, she decided to move to Chicago, making a pit stop in her home state of Oklahoma on the way. But something happened to her while in OK - she met a cowboy. Before you can say "yee haw," Ree found herself in the most unlikeliest of places - living and working on a ranch in Oklahoma, married to a cowboy and with 4 kids. Other than the 4 kids part, sounds pretty good to me. Almost makes me want to start cooking again.

For the record, I love to cook. In fact, at one point I was thinking of going to chef school. But the cost scared me and I turned to American History instead. Logical order of things, right? I still cook, but it seems most of the time I walk into the kitchen after a hard day's work, look around and go "Nah, not tonight."

If you want to read the L.A. Times article, go here.

5 comments:

Barry said...

It's tough cooking for one Laurie as I learned when I was divorced.
I made the mistake of using my cooking skills (such as the are) to attract my second wife now I do 99 per cent of the cooking.
Good thing I enjoy it.

Oscar said...

You last comment re cooking, "Nah, not tonight," reminds me of my wife.

Charles Gramlich said...

13 million hits a month? I'll just slink off now with my tail between my legs.

Laurie Powers said...

Barry - yes you should have known better than to cook for a date. On the other hand, there's nothing more attractive than a man that can cook. I'll leave it at that.

Oscar, was she talking about cooking? LOL.

Charles, me too. I had to take a second look at the article to make sure it wasn't a typo...it still looks wrong.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Luckily I have a husband who loves to cook. Got to check this site out.