Wednesday, September 16, 2009

More on H.W. Scott and Another Great Pulp Web Site

Well, many thanks to my friend Walker Martin who steered me to a great site dedicated to pulp artists. I checked out his tip and not only found more information on H.W. Scott, I was treated to a great web site, The Field Guide to Wild American Pulp Artists, better known as www.pulpartists.com.

David Saunders runs this site. David is the son of one of the great pulp artists, Norman Saunders, whose work on Public Enemy is seen here. David came out with a fantastic book on his father's art work, entitled Norman Saunders. It is a massive book, a true work of art in itself. I've seen it: I met David at Pulp Fest, where he had a table and was selling autographed copies. I kind of kick myself now because I didn't get one then. When you go to www.pulpartists.com, you can check out the book and buy a copy. The book's cover is shown at the end of this post.

I was particularly pleased to see on H. W. Scott's page on pulpartists.com several Wild West Weekly covers, including a great one of Kid Wolf, my grandfather's character, that is shown below. You can tell it's from the early 1930s.

Anyway, back to H.W. Scott. Here is an abbreviated version of David's page on Scott.

"Harold Winfield Scott was born in 1897 in Danbury, CT. He was named after his relative, General Winfield Scott of the Mexican-American War.

After service in WWI, H.W. Scott attended Pratt Institute until 1922 where he studied with Dean Cornwell. Scott was hired to teach "pictorial illustraion" at Pratt in 1925, where he crossed paths with many future pulp artists, including Walt Baumhofer, Rudy Belarski, Fred Blakeslee, and Edd Cartier, all of whom were his pupils.

By 1930,Scott was regularly selling freelance cover paintings to pulp magazines such as Danger Trail, Top-Notch, Complete Stories, Wild West Weekly, Star Sports, Complete Sports, Best Sports, The Avenger, Doc Savage, Two-Gun Western, Six-Gun Western, and Quick-Trigger Western.

Scott later sold freelance work to slick magazines, such as Liberty, Colliers and Red Book. In the 1950s his work appeared on paperback books from Dell, and even comic books.

H. Winfield Scott was one of the most impressive men in the history of pulp art. He painted westerns and sports with a flamboyant, slap-dash manner that was wildly expressive of his intemperate disposition. He was a classic member of the hard-drinking Salmagundi Club of freelance artists.

According to Scott,"I was best known as a whirlwind painter of rootin' tootin' cowboys. Art directors liked the spirit I got into all my paintings. I have a lot of spirit myself and that's why I always worked so hard. I never knew Christmas. I'd be doing two or three of these things a week sometimes, and sometimes till late at night. At 2 a.m. I'd scratch out a face that wasn't right, go to bed and then get up and start all over again."

H. Winwield Scott died at age 80 in Croton Falls, NY, in November 1977."

Many thanks to David Saunders for his information. I'm going to put pulpartists.com on my web site lists on the right, so you'll be able to go to it any time you want.

And of course, thanks to Walker, who has turned into one of my favorite followers of Laurie's Wild West.

1 comment:

Dave Lewis said...

Thanks Laurie! What a great site.